OSU Women’s Soccer takes tough home loss against Arizona

Ryan Byrne, Sports Contributor

Beavers Women’s Soccer suffered a 3-0 loss to the University of Arizona this Thursday at Paul Lorenz Field. The Beavers are now 2-15 overall with two more Pac-12 matchups remaining in their season.

The first half of the match was filled with close defensive plays from Oregon State, including three straight goal-line blocks from defenders via corner kicks by Arizona. OSU junior forward Taylor Lemmond led the Beavers attack with two shot on goal opportunities.

After a scoreless first half, the Wildcats opened the second with a header in the 47th minute from freshman midfielder Gabe Jennings off of a corner kick. Senior midfielder Kennedy Kieneker tallied on two more goals for Arizona in the 54th and 72nd minutes, ending the game 0-3.

Redshirt junior forward Toni Malone said it was a rough match, but the team took a lot of positives away from the match to prepare for their next game.

“When attacking we need to commit more resources to going after the goal instead of staying hesitant,” Malone said. “We both loved the energy and passion our team committed all the way through the game, we never let up even when we were down.”

OSU Head Coach Linus Rhode said there are particular aspects of the Beavers’ game plan that the coaching staff will focus on at practice this week.

“We got beat on some set pieces, so that is something we definitely need to look at the upcoming days, and when we are in the final third we have to be more technical with some of our finishes,” Rhode said.

With senior night approaching on Sunday against Arizona State, midfielder Allison Pantuso, the lone starting senior for the Beavers, commented on the emotions leading into their next game.

“It’s very bittersweet, and their will definitely be tears on Sunday, but it has been an amazing for these four years and I’m ready,” Pantuso said.

The Beavers return to Paul Lorenz Field this Sunday to take on Arizona State at 2 p.m.