Beavers go back-to-back against Oregon

Sophomore Guard Mikayla Pivec dribbling the ball past half court in OSU’s overtime win over Oregon last Friday. 

Jarred Bierbrauer, Sports Contributor

After Oregon State University women’s basketball sweeping of the Arizona schools in Corvallis last weekend, the Beavers were looking for their third and fourth win in a row against the Oregon Ducks. OSU pulled away with one win and one loss in the back-to-back rivarly games.

Oregon head coach Kelly Graves has yet to defeat OSU in his 14 game long career at the University of Oregon. The Ducks had yet to lose a Pac-12 game this season, and have been waiting for the civil war games to come.

Beavers head coach Scott Rueck on the other hand has won the last three Pac-12 Championships, and continues progress towards a fourth.

On Friday night’s game in Corvallis, Gill Coliseum was packed to the max. OSU started out hot, putting up 28 points in the first quarter. Oregon retaliated however, trailing the Beavers by a few points until their first taking of the lead in the fourth quarter.

No bench-players from either team score one point throughout the entire game. All starters battled the for the win, but the Beavers were able to pull out the win with Junior Katie McWilliams scoring a game sealing three point and-one with 11 seconds left. The game ended with a final score of 85-79.

Head coach Scott Rueck was positive in his team’s performance.

“I was pleased,” Rueck said. “I can’t say surprised, they’re warriors, but I was pleased with the way we approached it mentally and I was really proud and Marie and Katie and their leadership. They set the tone at a high level.”

Sophomore shooting guard Kat Tudor was keen on her mental preparedness.

“It was pure focus,” said Tudor. “I was focused this whole week. I woke up this morning knowing that we had a late game, so you have to get yourself ready for that, it was just focus.”

Tudor had herself a career night against the Ducks. Going 7-10 on three pointers, 7-9 on free

throws, and maintaining a 71.4 percent field goal percentage. Kat ended the game with an astounding 34 points.

Senior center Marie Gulich was also joyous with the outcome of the game.

“I would rank this game in the top three,” Gulich said. “It was just amazing, Beaver Nation was so loud at one point I couldn’t hear my own voice. I’m just super proud of everyone and it was super fun.”

Gulich took another chunk of the scoreboard as well, tacking on 28 points from the paint. In addition to her stellar performance, she also brought down 15 rebounds, leading the team.

Sunday’s game was a different story for the beavers however, as the Ducks were able to hold down OSU for the entirety of the game. Final score of the game was 75-63 University of Oregon.

The Beavers are gearing to play away at Utah Friday, Jan. 26 at 5 p.m.