Building community

Miranda Crowell, Practicum Contributor

1st Place Bar Food

Downward Dog maintains campus staple

Downward Dog’s campus location resides in a historic Craftsman style home built in 1919 but that isn’t its only connection to Corvallis history. As owner Cloud Davidson recounts, the city has a long history of naming bars after animals.

“The Peacock opened in 1929, Squirrels opened in 1974, and the Crowbar opened in 2004,” Davidson said in an email.

According to Davidson, the original downtown location of Downward Dog opened in spring 2008, with the campus location opening five years later under the name Red Fox Café.

In September of 2015, The Red Fox Café merged with its sister brand for a second location under the same name, according to the Downward Dog Facebook page.

Davidson is also no stranger to the Corvallis restaurant scene, having been part of it for over a decade. With two Downward Dog locations, Cloud and Kelly’s, Bomb’s Away Café, and DiMaggio’s Pizza, patrons are never far from local flavor and atmosphere.

“The main thing that set the campus Dog apart from the other bars is the outdoor patio. I can’t think of another south-facing street level outdoor patio around. It’s pretty unique. In the spring when the sun is out the patio is a great way to unwind after a day of classes and studying,” Davidson said in an email.

According to the Downward Dog website, local ingredients are proudly featured whenever possible, alongside made-from-scratch menu and homemade items including vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options.

“We do a lot of burgers and fries, wraps too. One recent addition—Mama’s Pasta—has been a big hit. It’s actually my mom’s pasta sauce recipe I grew up eating,” Davidson said in an email.

According to Davidson, this helps the restaurant maintain its place as a staple amongst college students and the community alike. There’s something for everyone at Downward Dog as the culinary team crafts unique weekly specials.

To go along with their impressive menu, Downward Dog offers a wide selection of craft beer and signature cocktails. In addition to the variety of brews on tap, a featured beer called the “Dealer’s Choice” is written on the chalkboard above the bar, complementing weekly promos and tastings.

Bartender Craig Jensen said that beer is popular as well but not the only top-selling beverage.

“Foxy Lady and Mango Tango are number one cocktails,” Jensen said.

Downward Dog offers a wide variety of events throughout the year. Whether they be daily $3 drink specials, weekly Tiki Tuesdays, or themed events throughout the year like Lebowski Fest, which celebrates how the Dude abides by offering discounted White Russians.

Seasoned regular of almost four years, Chris Hands mentions that what keeps him coming back to Downward Dog week after week is its welcoming environment and some of the best drinks he’s ever had.

“It’s a great feeling knowing that your bartender isn’t there just to pour booze into a glass, but that they actually enjoy what they’re doing, and want to make sure that you enjoy your experience from sip to cash out,“ Hands said.

Open seven days a week from 10 a.m. until 12 a.m., with food and drink specials running from 4 p.m. until midnight, Downward Dog offers a place to sit and stay awhile.