Welcome back students, from President Ray

Ed Ray Oregon State University President

Welcome to the 2016-17 academic year.

At Oregon State University, we are proud to serve as Oregon’s statewide university with a presence in all 36 counties.

We engage in this mission with an unwavering commitment to inclusive academic excellence, cutting-edge research and outreach and engagement in communities throughout Oregon, the nation and the world.

For us, excellence is not just an abstract concept. We understand that the more outstanding we are and the more exceptional our graduates prove to be, the more positive and powerful impact we can have on the lives of those we serve.

I am most proud of OSU’s greatest contribution to society: our graduates. And we only achieve this contribution through the dedication and efforts of world-class faculty and staff.

Oregon State University is an authentic community, where getting things done and serving others defines us.

In 2018, Oregon State will celebrate its 150th anniversary as a land grant university and will provide a spotlight on what this university – and its students, faculty, staff and alumni – have accomplished and will achieve going forward. Our students will be a major part of this OSU150 celebration.

When I look at our student body I recognize the great responsibility we have to help transform all learners into leaders while enabling all students to be prepared for success in their future careers and communities as part of a global community.

This year’s incoming class of approximately 7,650 new students represents diversity, excellence and the prospect for incredible success. Here’s a scan of our new students:

—Nearly 6,000 are undergraduates and 1,060 are graduate students.

—6 percent are students of color.

—Almost 1,460 are first generation students.

—Approximately 4,510 students are Oregonians from every county of this state.

—2,716 come from the remaining 49 states and military bases worldwide.

—155 incoming students are veterans.

—Nearly 420 are international students from 60 different countries.

—21 new students had perfect SAT math scores, and 11 had perfect SAT verbal scores.

—5 are National Merit winners.

—225 incoming undergraduates were ranked No. 1 in their high school graduating class.

The university’s future success will always be defined by its students.

Looking ahead, I recognize that we have much to do to achieve our aspirations. We will improve our retention and graduation rates without any achievement gaps for underrepresented, first generation or Pell-eligible students. Going forward, every OSU student will have at least one experiential learning opportunity. These internships, undergraduate research appointments, service learning courses, study abroad programs, club and leadership activities will help prepare every student for success in a global economy and community.

We will take additional steps to ensure that Oregon State is a community committed to inclusiveness and social justice, and a place that celebrates diversity.

We can achieve all of these things. And I am confident that working together, the best is yet to come at Oregon State University.

Go Beavs!

Ed Ray

President

Oregon State University