Oregon earns first conference win at Goss Stadium

Beavers fall to Ducks in Game 1 of the Civil War

The Oregon State Baseball team entered Friday’s Civil War matchup against Oregon with a perfect 9-0 record at Goss Stadium against their rival since they had reinstated their baseball program in 2009.

The Beavers had swept the Ducks in 2010, 2012 and 214. That streak came to an end Friday evening when the Ducks scored six runs between the fifth and seventh innings in their 7-4 win over the Beavers.

The Ducks got seven innings out of starting pitcher Cole Irvin, who allowed two runs on seven hits while striking out five OSU batters.

“He’s good, he’s a good pitcher,” said head coach Pat Casey. “He’s one of the best in the league.”

Travis Eckert got the starting nod for OSU, the senior right-hander had been effective at home this season. Against the Ducks he struggled, giving up six runs (five earned) on eight hits over six innings in a losing effort.

The Ducks jumped on Eckert early, scoring their first run in the second inning. Six times, Oregon was able to get their lead off runner to start the inning.

“I did not think Eckert was sharp at all,” said Casey. “He wasn’t close to being as good as you need to be in this league.”

The Beavers however would respond. Freshman centerfielder Steven Kwan started the bottom of the fourth inning with triple into the right field corner, he would come around and score on a bloop single to center from sophomore designated hitter KJ Harrison.

Sophomore first basemen Michael Gretler reached on a single, then junior right fielder Kyle Nobach was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Junior shortstop Trever Morrison would give the Beavers a 2-1 lead on a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Harrison.

However, the lead would be short lived. The bottom of the Ducks order got the inning started with a lead off single from freshman second basemen Carson Breshears, then an error on a sacrifice bunt by Eckert put two runners on with no outs.

After a sacrifice bunt moved the runners to second and third. That set the table for sophomore first basemen Kyle Kasser, who delivered a two-run single to center to give the Ducks a 3-2 lead.

Oregon would then extend the lead in the sixth, scoring three more runs playing small ball. Twice the Ducks used a sac bunt to move the runners overs, scored a run on a safety squeeze, then added two more runs on hits that didn’t leave the infield.

“We didn’t field the baseball,” said Casey. “We didn’t get outs when we needed to get outs, we did a very poor job of fielding.”

The Ducks would add an insurance run in the seventh inning on a sac fly to center from senior designated hitter Steven Packard.

The Beavers made the game a little bit interesting in the eighth inning after a two-run double from Nobach cut into the Ducks lead. The Beavers even got a runner on in the ninth inning but could not do any further damage.

Game 2 of the series will be at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Goss Stadium.

Other Note:

• The Beavers were without their usual starting second baseman. Freshman Nick Madrigal had injured his shoulder in Tuesday’s game against Portland. Junior Caleb Hamilton took over the second base duties

• Freshman Steven Kwan has gone 6-for-8 the past two games. He went 4-for-4 on Tuesday against Portland, and 2-for-4 with a walk against Oregon.

• Junior John Pomeroy pitched three inning in relief, allowing one run on one hit and striking out four.

• Oregon head coach George Horton won his 1,000th career game as a college coach.