Seth Collins returning to OSU

Freshman wide receiver Seth Collins carries the ball in the first quarter against the Oregon Ducks in the 2015 Civil War.

Brenden Slaughter Associate Sports Editor

Freshman quarterback/wide receiver Seth Collins is back on the football team head coach Gary Andersen announced Monday.

“I’m very humbled that my teammates and coaches have provided me the opportunity to rejoin the team,” Collins said. “Coach Andersen did not always agree with the direction that I was headed during this process, but was always there to talk and support me as a person first.”

“I’ve grown tremendously as a person since I arrived in Corvallis and I can’t wait to put on the pads and represent Beaver Nation the best way possible.”

Collins, who was known for his electric running ability at the quarterback position last season, gives OSU another offensive weapon heading into the 2016 season. Collins was the team leader in all-purpose yards in 2015 with 1516.

He will return to OSU as a wide receiver in 2016 after playing quarterback for most of the 2015 season.

It appeared that Collins’ time at OSU was done when he signed a non binding financial aid agreement with Northern Illinois earlier this season, and announced his intention to transfer to play quarterback.

However, because the agreement was non binding, Collins had more time to reflect on the situation, and ultimately decided to stay with the Beavers.

But because he missed winter workouts, Andersen noted that Collins will not be partaking with the Beavers during spring football practice.

“We have a plan that will take place over the next few months for Seth to earn his way back in the mainstream of our program. He is fully prepared to accept the responsibility and make up for the time he has missed. Spring football is in part a reward for winter conditioning, and as a result, Seth will not participate during the remaining practices. However, he is back in the weight room completing the winter conditioning cycle.

Andersen also stated the importance of wanting to give Collins a chance to earn a spot back on the team, and also lauded his work in the classroom.

“The reason we do what we do is to build young men on and off the field, supporting them and preparing them for the future,” Andersen said. “Sometimes they do not always make decisions we agree with, but these can be times of growth for the individual. The return of Seth to our program is a decision supported by the leaders of this team, our coaching staff and myself.

“It’s important to note that since arriving at Oregon State, he has been an excellent student and has had zero off the field issues. He has remained on campus and in classes at Oregon State throughout the entire process”