Nelson named freshmen of the year finalist

Josh Worden Senior Beat Reporter

OSU softball pitcher Meehra Nelson is the only Pac-12 pitcher to earn the accolade

By Josh Worden

Senior Beat Reporter

Meehra Nelson’s standout freshman campaign at Oregon State has not gone unnoticed.

Nelson, who leads the Beavers softball team with a 2.90 earned run average and a 15-6 record, was named one of 25 finalists for the National Freshman of the Year Award on Thursday from Schutt Sports/National Fastpitch Coaches Association.

The Simi Valley, Calif. native is the only Pac-12 player to make the list and is one of seven pitchers in the NCAA.

“Our staff here is ecstatic for Meehra,” said head coach Laura Berg in a statement. “We are extremely proud of what she has been able to accomplish this year, but we are also not surprised by it. We know how talented she is and what she brings in the circle for us.”

Nelson has spent 135 innings in the pitcher’s circle this season, more than half of OSU’s entire season. She has recorded 170 strikeouts, the second most of any freshman in the nation, and she leads the Pac-12 in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts, saves (4), batters struck out looking (55), batting average against (.194) and total appearances (33).

Nelson and the Beavers will take on No. 10 Washington this weekend in Corvallis, starting Friday at 1 p.m. at the OSU Softball Complex.