OSU to lift COVID-19 restrictions on June 30

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, signs requiring masks within Oregon State University buildings have been posted up around campus; pictured here are signs in the Memorial Union on the OSU Corvallis, Ore. campus. With the COVID-19 mask and social distancing policies being lifted in the state of Oregon on June 30, OSU will also lift these policies. 

Trevor Horn, News Contributor

Oregon State University’s COVID-19 face mask and social distancing policies will be lifted on June 30, along with the rest of the state of Oregon.

Oregon Governor Kate Brown announced on June 25 that all COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted in Oregon counties when 70% of the state’s population is vaccinated against COVID-19, or on June 30, whichever occurs first. 

As of June 29, 69.4% of the population 18 and older has been vaccinated, and the state needs 19,083 more Oregonians age 18 and older to receive a vaccine dose to reach the 70% benchmark.

Benton County reports that 70% of the 12 and older population has received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, and 64% of the 12 and older population is fully vaccinated as of June 27.

“As of June 30, 2021, OSU’s Face Covering Policy and Physical Distancing Policy are terminated and will be replaced with a general COVID-19 Safety and Success Policy,” Dan Larson, OSU vice provost and coronavirus response coordinator, said in an email to all students last Friday.

Larson said OSU will “apply remaining federal, state and local health authority guidelines and recommendations,” and will continue to provide vaccinations and enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirements for the university through the vaccination program.

According to Larson’s email, “The policy also includes provisions regarding positive COVID-19 case notification, isolation and quarantine procedures, and expectations for ongoing participation in contact tracing. This new COVID-19 Safety and Success policy will apply to all OSU settings and activities, including education, research, OSU Extension and outreach.”

Students returning to OSU campuses in the fall will be required to have a COVID-19 vaccine or provide documentation for an exemption; students seeking vaccination exemption will have more information by July 9.

For vaccinated individuals, masks will not be required indoors, and there will be no size limitations on gatherings.

Larson also urged students to “rely on and stay informed by trusted and science-based information sources.”

Athletic Director Scott Barnes released a letter on Monday, announcing that all sports venues on the OSU campus will be operating at 100% fan capacity for the 2021-2022 athletic seasons.

“I look forward to seeing you back in the Best College Town in the Pac-12 on September 11 when Beaver Football hosts its first home game with fans in Reser Stadium in nearly two years,” Barnes said.

“Looking ahead, we will proceed with cautious optimism,” Larson said. “While being ready to respond should COVID-19 conditions require a return to additional public health measures.”