Beaver football still one win away from bowl eligibility with 25-39 loss to Golden Bears

OMN+Sports

OMN Sports

Despite being the favorite by1.5 points, the Oregon State Beavers suffered their third loss of the season to the University of California Golden Bears on Oct. 30.

The Beavers game plan was simply not enough for the Golden Bears, as their running game was not where it has been in games past.

The Golden Bears took the running game away from the Beavers, only allowing 133 rushing yards total. That is the second lowest rushing yards in a game for the Beavers this season. The Golden Bears took control of the game, having 34 minutes of possession time throughout the game, compared to Oregon State’s 26 minutes of possession time.

Oregon State is averaging 245 rushing yards per game this season and that plays a great part of their success. The 245 rushing yards is best in the PAC-12 and is among the country’s top 10.

The Golden Bears would take advantage of the Beavers’ stunts in the trenches allowing for a bigger push on the line of scrimmage. This would open up gaps for Golden Bear running backs Damien Moore and Christopher Brooks to put up a season high 255 rushing yards.

The passing game for the Beavers was there but costly turnovers would limit the amount of throws in the game. Redshirt-sophomore quarterback Chance Nolan would complete 15 of 26 passes through the air for 342 yards and 2 interceptions.

The Oregon State Beavers would receive the ball to start off the game, but that possession ended up going nowhere, as on the first play of the game, Redshirt-junior running back BJ Baylor would be stuffed behind the line of scrimmage, and the ball would end up in the hands of a California linebacker. The play would be confirmed a turnover by the refs giving the ball to the Golden Bears at their own 15-yard line.

The first touchdown of the game would happen not soon after, California quarterback Chase Garbers would take the boot off the play action and run into the end zone where he would be met hard by Oregon State redshirt-sophomore defensive back Kitan Oladapo. The Bears would kick the extra point and complete it going up 7-0 with 12 minutes in the first quarter. Ultimately, the Beavers wouldn’t get much out of the first quarter, going down 10-0.

Although the Beavers would start off the second quarter strong with a 29 yard field goal from sophomore kicker Everett Hayes, the Golden Bears would keep the pressure going, marching down the field and scoring with a 8 yard run.

The Beavers defense forced a three and out, giving the ball back to the offense at their own 28 yard line with a little over 2 minutes left in the second quarter.. They would get back on the board just before halftime after a deep shot from Nolan to Oregon State redshirt-senior wide receiver Trevon Bradford would set up a 32 yard touchdown. Going into the half, California would lead 17-10.

The Golden Bears would be as aggressive in the second half scoring on a wheel route from 38 yards out, getting back the 14 point lead. The Beavers would have to wait til the end of the third quarter to get back on the board as a 4 yard touchdown by redshirt-sophomore running back Deshaun Fenwick would cut the lead to 17-24.

With 11 seconds left in the third quarter, the California special teams would block a punt, giving the Golden Bears a great start at the Beavers 38 yard line. They would score the first play of the drive with yet another touchdown pass from Garbers.

Nolan would showcase his arm strength with a 46 yard touchdown to Bradford pushing the Beavers to a score of 23-31. The Beavers would go for the two point attempt, with a boot play action allowing Nolan to use his legs to convert. The score would now be 25-31 with 11 minutes left in the fourth.

The Golden Bears would march down the field once again with a mix of running and passing plays. They would take 6 minutes off the clock on the scoring drive. The Golden Bears would score a 2 yard touchdown pushing the score to a 25-39 lead after converting on a two point attempt of their own.

The Beavers would get the ball at the 20 looking for a quick score. Nolan would heave a pass towards the left sideline, but would just overthrow it allowing California safety Elijah Hicks to get under the pass for the second interception of the game.

The Beavers would fall to the Golden Bears 25-39, but their hopes of bowl eligibility is still a fighting chance. Head Coach Jonathan Smith and the Oregon State Beavers are just one win away from a bowl game, which would mark the first bowl game since December 24th, 2013.

The Oregon State Beavers hope to get their 6th win of the season against the Colorado Buffalo which takes place Nov. 6 at 4.p.m.