Men’s Soccer earns second shoutout victory with win against Golden Bears

Kayla Jones

The Oregon State men’s soccer team celebrates after making their second goal of the game at Lorenz Field in Corvallis Oregon on October 31, 2021. The goal was scored by forward Tsiki Ntsabeleng during the second half.

Georgina Paez, Sports Contributor

Following a win against the Golden Bears earlier in the season, the Oregon State men’s soccer team earned its second shutout victory by defeating Cal Berkeley this past Sunday.

This puts the Beavers at an 11-1-2 overall record and 6-0-1 in the PAC-12.

To start the match, Cal goalie Collin Travasos saved kicks by Oregon State junior midfielder Sofiane Djeffal and Oregon State sophomore Mouhameth Thiam, and Oregon State redshirt-senior forward Tsiki Ntsabeleng.

Although these shots were on target, the first goal of the match would come at the 30:00 minute mark, when Oregon State sophomore midfielder Mouhameth Thiam, assisted by Oregon State redshirt-sophomore midfielder Carlos Moliner, which put the Beavers on top 1-0. No other points were scored in the half, so the Beavers went into halftime leading the match.

To start the second half, Nstabeleng took possession of the ball and scored for the Beavers, making the score 2-0. Moliner helped with the assist.

The rest of the second period included missed yet impressive shots by OSU Beavers, including shots from midfielders Moliner, Ntsabeleng, Thiam, and Djeffal. It was not all smooth sailing for OSU, as the Beavers did receive three yellow cards at the 58:08, 67:18, and 87:24 mark, and fouls on Oregon State freshman midfielder Lorenzo Lopez and Djeffal. Despite impressive moves made by the Golden Bears throughout the entirety of the game, the tenacity of the Beavers came out on top, securing the win and moving them up the roster.

Next up, the Oregon State men’s soccer team will face off against the San Diego State University Aztecs on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. in San Diego.