No. 14 ranked Beavers win home opener against Loyola Marymount Lions

Oregon+State+freshman+guard+AJ+Marotte+%2811%29+and+redshirt-freshman+forward%2Fcenter+Jelena+Mitrovic+blocking+a+Loyola+Marymount+defender+on+Nov.+12+at+Gill+Coliseum.+The+Beavers+would+go+on+to+defeat+the+Lions+by+a+score+of+82-52.+

Lily Middleton

Oregon State freshman guard AJ Marotte (11) and redshirt-freshman forward/center Jelena Mitrovic blocking a Loyola Marymount defender on Nov. 12 at Gill Coliseum. The Beavers would go on to defeat the Lions by a score of 82-52.

The Oregon State women’s basketball team started their 2021-22 campaign off strong with a season-opening 82-52 victory over the Loyola Marymount University Lions Friday night at Gill Coliseum.

Though Loyola trailed by just three after the first quarter, the Beavers pulled away before halftime and never looked back, eventually jumping out to a 67-38 at the end of the third quarter. Oregon State led the game for a total of 39:04.

54 of the Beavers 82 points came in the paint, and Oregon State sophomore forwards Taylor Jones and Kennedy Brown both scored in double figures. Brown was coming back from injury after tearing her ACL on Feb. 7 2019.

In addition, the Beavers had 23 assists off of 34 made baskets, and had 33 points off the bench. Head coach Scott Reuck was complimentary of his team’s unselfishness.

“My goal for every game is to have 20 assists,” Reuck said.“There are some teams that don’t let you pass and you have to just go to the rim, but if the situation allows we want to have a lot of assists. I thought we did a really good job sharing the ball tonight.”

Sophomore guard Talia Von Oelhoffen led the way for Oregon State in the scoring column with 19 points, and while Jones and freshman guard AJ Marrotte both added 15 points of their own. Brown finished with 10 points to round out the Beavers’ double-digit scorers.

Next up, the Beavers will host Cal Baptist on Nov. 17 at Gill Coliseum. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.