Carey scores a 10.000 on floor routine as Beavers get win against Huskies

Matthew Mckenna

Olympic gymnast Jade Carey scans the crowd with a smile on her face during her floor routine which would earn here a perfect 10 at the gymnastics meet against University of Washington on February 13, 2022

This past Sunday, the Oregon State University women’s gymnastics team faced off against the University of Washington Huskies in Gill Coliseum.

Regardless of any outcome expected in the long-awaited Super Bowl game following the meet, the Beavers set the good vibes for the rest of the day as they dominated over the Huskies with a score of 197.275-194.450.

The Beavers showed out at the meet with high individual scores as well as group scores during this DAM Change meet, hosted by the DAM Worth It organization on campus. This meet was also incredibly special as it was senior night, which caused some great emotions for all the seniors on the team, such as senior gymnast Madi Dagen.

“I think I just felt overwhelmed by love and there was so much passion out on the floor tonight and I think that helped us do really well,”Dagen said.

Graduate student gymnast Kaitlyn Yanish also had nothing but positive things to say about this meet that seemed to be more than just a regular matchup.

“I think any time we have one of these meets where we do gymnastics for something bigger than us, we always do our best,” Yanish said. “And I really feel like we went out there and celebrated all the girls that have come long before us and all of the seniors we celebrated tonight”.

All eyes seemed to be on Olympic gold medalist and OSU freshman Jade Carey, who has scored 10’s across the board for the past 3 consecutive meets and has come out on top in the individual scores as well. Carey was an all-around competitor for the vault, bars, beam, and floor, along with Dagen.

Starting off on vault, the women competing were freshman Lauren Letzsch, sophomore Sydney Gonzales, Yanish, Dagen, freshman Karlie Chavez, and Carey. Each Beaver scored in the high 9’s: Letzsch, Yanish, and Dagen with a 9.85, Gonzales with a 9.80, Chavez scoring a 9.70, and the highest scoring being Carey with a 9.90. Overall, the women came out on top in the vault category with a score of 49.175, the Huskies trailing closely behind with a 49.100.

The Beavers started off strong on bars, with graduate student Colette Yamaoka scoring a 9.80. Following Yamaoka, freshman Carley Beeman and freshman Phoebe Jakubczyk both came out with a 9.75. Dagen and junior Kayla Bird scored the second highest scores of 9.85. And Carey finished off the round with a 9.95. The Beavers sustained their lead over the Huskies with their score of 49.175 on bars, with University of Washington having a score of 49.075.

Entering the beam portion of the meet, the running score of the Beavers stood at 98.350, with the Huskies at 49.075.

Jakubczyk started off on beam with a high score of 9.80. Letzsch followed with an elegant routine that earned her a higher score of 9.85. Junior Jenna Domingo scored low on the beam with a 9.15, and Gonzales scored a 9.85 following Domingo. The last two gymnasts, Dagen and Carey, closed out the event with a matching score of 9.90. Ending the second to last portion of the meet, OSU held a score of 49.250.

Finally, the Beavers entered their last event of the afternoon: the floor. Gonzales started off strong with a finishing score of 9.70. Bird came in hot with a score of 9.85, and Letzsch ended her great routine with a solid finish and a score of 9.90. Both Dagen and Yanish finished off the meet with a matching score of 9.95. And finally, to no one’s disappointment, Carey finished off her iconic floor performance with a perfect score of a 10.

This concluded the meet with a floor score of 49.675. Oregon State University came out on top of the University of Washington with an overall score of 197.275. All-Around results include Carey in 1st with a score of 39.750, Dagen in 2nd with 39.525, and Huskie gymnast Skylar Killough Wilhelm in 3rd with a score of 39.200.

The OSU gymnastics team will be on the road for their next meet on Feb. 18 as they take on the University of Utah Utes at 5 P.M. in Salt Lake City