Oregon State Women’s Basketball wins last home game of season, 68-59, versus Cal on Senior Night

Rafael Quero Juarex

Senior guard, Tea Adams, drives through the defense to score two of her fives points. The Beavers won the game against Cal by a score of 68-59.

Hannah Mitchell, Print Contributor

With it being six seniors’ last game in Gill Coliseum today, emotions were running high after the senior night presentation in the pregame.

“I was just telling everyone no tears, it’s game time,” said Senior Ellie Mack. “You could definitely kind of feel it in the first quarter but I’m thankful we were able to keep focused.”

Scott Rueck agreed that the beginning of the game was slower than typical for the team, but that was to be expected with emotions running high. “The emotions of the beginning I think it was kind of a ho-hum first half in a way I wouldn’t say it was inspirational.”

Rueck said that the team regained their composure in the second half, “But then that changed in the third quarter. Once the senior emotions kind of wore off and we were figuring how to play through tears then the third quarter was where this game separated.”

After the game, seniors were reflective over what their experience at Oregon State meant to them. Mack said, “I feel like I’ve matured so much as a person and a player since I got here, and I value that.”

Mack said that she felt like she gained many friendships from her time at Oregon State and Taya Corosdale as well who said, “I’ve gained a lot of sisters. You know I’m an only child, so my teammates have become my family and that’s something I’ll cherish forever.”

Andrea Aquino scored the first points of the game, the first and last points of her season. “It means a lot to me listening to Gill go crazy. One of the best moments and will definitely remember it for the rest of my life.”

Scott Rueck had a lot of nice things to say about all of his players, “It’s just this special group that’s just high-quality individuals that have made us all better.”

Including Emily Codding whom he said was, “For lack of a better term, kind of been that Swiss Army knife for us where I’ve been able to play her at four positions she can handle it all.”

One player that got a lot of praise from Rueck was Noel Mannen, the redshirt-sophomore. “I’m looking at our roster and I’m just thinking who is going to go out and play with an intensity that is going to be disruptive, Cal looks so comfortable? Noel.”

Rueck said, “That was the best defensive stretch maybe we’ve played in a while,” and that success should be attributed to Noel Mannen.

Oregon State has two more in-conference games versus Colorado and Utah next week, then it is on to the postseason. Mack said, “I think all of us are focused on our ultimate goal of making it to the NCAA tournament and going on a run in the Pac-12 tournament, that means winning today.”