Oregon State University to no longer require masks indoors beginning March 12

Ridwana Rahman, Photographer

Signs requiring masks within OSU buildings are posted up around campus, including at the Memorial Union.

Kimberly Clairmont, News Contributor

Oregon State University plans to comply with Oregon Health Authority’s revised timeline to lift the mask mandate for most indoor public places on campus starting March 12.

Free masks will continue to be available to students at various locations on campus, according to a press release from Dan Larson, vice provost of Student Affairs and OSU coronavirus response coordinator. The university also welcomes students to wear masks after the mandate is lifted if desired. 

According to the press release, Benton County commissioners said they intend to follow OHA’s rules regarding masking, but will meet Tuesday, March 8 to discuss the county’s mandate in further detail. Larson noted that no other county in Oregon has its own mask requirement.

OSU no longer requires community members to demonstrate proof of vaccination, or provide proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test, in order to attend outdoor and indoor events on campus, effective immediately. 

The vaccination requirement for students, faculty and staff will still be enforced, and the proof of vaccination and/or a negative COVID-19 test requirement for attendance to outdoor and indoor events may be reinstated in the future, the press release stated. 

A Beaver Booster Clinic will be hosted in the Student Experience Center Plaza on OSU’s Corvallis, Ore. campus from March 7-18 from noon to 7 p.m. The clinic will provide all COVID-19 vaccines as well as primary doses for children.