Beavers fall to Ducks in first round of PAC-12 tournament

A+photo+gallery+from+the+Oregon+State+vs+Oregon+mens+basketball+game+on+Jan.+10%2C+2022+in+Corvallis%2C+Ore.+In+the+358th+meeting+between+the+two+teams%2C+the+Ducks+defeated+the+Beavers+by+a+narrow+score+of+78-76.+

Jason May

A photo gallery from the Oregon State vs Oregon men’s basketball game on Jan. 10, 2022 in Corvallis, Ore. In the 358th meeting between the two teams, the Ducks defeated the Beavers by a narrow score of 78-76.

Ben Pahl, Sports Contributor

The Oregon State Men’s Basketball team ended their 2021-22 campaign in Las Vegas on Wednesday with an 86-72 loss to the fifth-seeded Oregon Ducks in the first round of the PAC-12 tournament.

For a team suffering from a multitude of injuries, Oregon State showed plenty of fight on Wednesday afternoon at T-Mobile Arena.  After falling behind 12-0 in the early minutes of the game, the Beavers responded with a 14-2 run, cutting the deficit to just one point with 11:51 to play in the first half.  Despite a couple of small Oregon runs after this, the Beavers were able to keep it close and went into halftime down 43-36.

After the teams traded buckets for the first few minutes of the second half, Oregon hunkered down defensively and used transition offense to push their lead back out to 11.  Once again the Beavers responded, going on an 14-5 run to make it a 63-60 game with 10:32 remaining.

After Oregon State cut it to a three-point deficit, Oregon was able to extend their lead over the next few minutes of game time and never let the Beavers back within striking distance. Once Oregon State senior center Roman Silva fouled out with 3:28 to play, Oregon was able to wind out the clock.

Four of the Ducks’ five starters scored in double figures on Wednesday, led by junior guard Jacob Young who led all scorers with 23 and also dished out a remarkable 11 assists.  Junior forward Quincuy Guerrier scored 20 points off of 7-11 shooting from the field, and senior center N’Faly Dante and senior forward Eric Williams Jr. each had 15 and 14, respectively, to round out Oregon’s double-digit scorers.

Junior guard Jarod Lucas led the way for the Beavers in a monstrous offensive performance where he scored 22 points and shot 3 of 6 from beyond the arc.  Freshman forward Glenn Taylor Jr, who has been a bright spot for the Beavers this year, scored 16 on 6-8 shooting.  In the final game of their collegiate career, Silva and Oregon State senior forward Maurice Calloo each finished with nine points.

The result concludes a tough season for Wayne Tinkle and Oregon State, who went 3-28 overall and lost 18 straight to end the year.  Despite the record, things are looking up for the Beavers around the corner.  Heading into next season, they will be returning the vast majority of their roster, losing just three, and should be able to regroup when their squad is back healthy.