OSU gymnastics places third in regionals

OMN+Sports

OMN Sports

Ryan Harlan, Sports Contributor

The Oregon State Women’s Gymnastics Team took on the University of Utah Utes, Stanford University Cardinal, and the University of Illinois Fighting Ilini in Seattle, Washington, in the second round of the NCAA Seattle Regional Thursday night.

The Beavers placed third in the meet with a score of 197.425 and will not advance to final round of regionals.

The Beavers started out on vault with freshman Kaitlin Garcia leading off the event followed by Oregon State freshman Karlie Chavez with both scoring a 9.80. Oregon State freshman Lauren Letzch and sophomore Sydney Gonzalez each followed up with scores of 9.85. Oregon State senior Madi Dagen scored a 9.925 and anchoring the event Oregon State freshman Jade Carey scored a 9.975, tying a career high on vault.

The Beavers scored a combined team total of 49.325 points on vault, which had them third only trailing behind Stanford (49.350) and Illinois (49.400).

Entering the bars event, Oregon State graduate student Colette Yamaoka started out the event scoring a 9.80 to lead off the Beavers. Oregon State freshman Carley Beeman and senior Madi Dagen followed up the strong start by Yamaoka with each scoring a 9.85. Oregon State junior Kayla Bird and Oregon State freshman Phoebe Jakubczyk each followed up with scores of 9.725 and 9.75. Carey anchored the event finishing with a score of 9.925.

The Beavers had a combined team total of 98.475 points and after two events were trailing Stanford (98.775), Illinois (98.775), and Utah (98.625).

Next, the Beavers went to the beam with Oregon State sophomore Ariana Young starting the Beavers off strong scoring a 9.9, a career-high on beam. Following Young, Letzch followed up with a score of 9.850. Junior Jenna Domingo also scored a 9.9 on beam. Gonzalez and Dagen finished with scores of 9.250 and 9.85 for their beam routines. Carey finished out the event with a near perfect score of 9.975.

After three rotations the Beavers had a combined team total of 147.950 points still trailing behind Stanford (148.000), Illinois (148.075), and Utah (148.100) despite the strong showing on the beam. It all came down the final event floor for the team to advance and secure a spot in the final round of regionals to keep their season going.

Young led off the Beavers once again this time on the floor event scoring a career-high 9.85. Letzch got the crowd roaring with a score of 9.90 for her floor routine. Dagen closed out her day scoring a 9.875 on floor. Carey had another nearly perfect score on floor scoring a 9.75 for the event. Graduate-student Kaitlyn Yanish anchored the event finishing her career for the Beavers on floor scoring a 9.825.

The team finished with a score of 49.475 on floor, which brought their total team score to 197.425 finishing just behind Utah (197.800) and Stanford (197.450) but was not enough to overcome the deficit after the third rotation.

The Beavers will have to wait and see if any gymnast individually qualifies for nationals since the team did not qualify for the next round. The team finishes their great season as PAC-12 Co-Champions and finishes undefeated at home with a 7-0 record along with an overall record of 10-3 in the regular season. This would also officially the last time that Yanish and Yamakoa would compete for the beavers.