Oregon State keeps their winning streak alive on a sunny Tuesday afternoon

Sam Misa

Sophomore pitcher Jaren Hunter walks back to the dugout after holding the University of Portland Pilots to merely three hits the whole game. The Beavers look ahead to a series against the University of Arizona Wildcats to play their last away series games of the season.

Georgina Paez, Sports Contributor

Following a four game sweep against the University of Oregon, the Oregon State Beavers played the University of Portland Pilots in a one game series at Goss Field on Tuesday evening.

The Beavers and the Pilots kept things even throughout each inning, each team making headway with good at-bats and walk-ons. It wasn’t until the bottom of the 3rd inning that the game took a turn in favor of OSU. First off, junior Wade Meckler got a walk off of Portland’s pitcher, freshman Ryan Rembisz.

Sophomore Justin Boyd then singled through the left field, advancing Meckler to second base. Rembisz gave up another walk to sophomore Garrett Forrester, placing Boyd at second and Meckler at third.

With bases loaded, junior Jacob Melton doubled to left center, gaining 2 RBIs under his belt and bringing home both Meckler and Boyd. The inning ended with Forrester stuck on third, but the Beavs put some numbers on the board with a leading score of 2-0.

The bottom of the 7th inning also gave Gill Coliseum something to cheer about as the Beavers started strong with a walk and a stolen second base by Meckler. Following the play, Jacob Melton singled up the middle and gained an RBI as he brought Meckler home from first.

Melton then stole second and continued to advance to third on a throwing error by the University of Portland catcher. And finally, freshman Travis Bazzana doubled to the right and brought home Melton, gaining an RBI and placing himself at second. The inning was over freshman Tanner Smith struck out swinging, but OSU upped their lead by two in a score of 4-0.

The Pilots were not able to get much to happen from this point in time on, and the Beavers won the game with a score of 4-0.

Not only were the Beavers happy, but also the starting pitcher of the game, sophomore Jaren Hunter who played seven innings.

“I’m just improving each time I go out,” says Hunter on his approach at the mound. “Work with the coaches, just making sure I’m never settling and just continue to get better and just improve each time I go out there.”

When asked about his impressive amount of strikeouts for this game, he owed it all to his quick-changing speeds when pitching, “Just mixing up speed, you know? Sinkers early, couple sliders, and then be able to make some of the change of weight. Just keep them off balance and keep it going.”

Coming up next, the Beavers take on the University of Arizona Wildcats in a three-game series in Arizona. The first game is scheduled for Friday, May 13 at 7 p.m.