The Beavers conclude regular season play with a win against UCLA, look ahead to Pac-12 tournament play

Sam Misa

First baseman, redshirt-sophomore Garret Forrester, extends to catch the ball, resulting in an out against UCLA on May 20. The Beavers won the final game of the series against the Bruins by a score of 9-3 at Goss Stadium on May 21.

Georgina Paez, Sports Contributor

On a nice, sunny day in Corvallis, and after a heartwarming sendoff to the Beaver seniors, the final game of the series against UCLA took place.

OSU hopes to break their four game losing streak, a rarity that had yet to occur in this season of Beaver baseball.

The Beavers took the lead in the bottom of the first inning, something that hadn’t happened in the last two games. After freshman Travis Bazzana singled to first base, sophomore Garret Forrester singled to center field and Bazzana advanced to third.

Junior Wade Meckler then singled to left field and gained an RBI as Bazzana scored and Forrester went to second inning. Sophomore Justin Boyd singled up the middle and gained an RBI as Forrester scored and Meckler advanced to second. The inning ended with a score of 2-0.

The Bruins responded in the top of the second inning as junior Jared Karros singled to right-field. Sophomore Daylen Reyes then doubled down the right-field line and Karros advanced to third inning. And finally, junior Darius Perry flew out to right field and Karros scored. The inning ended with one run scored for UCLA and a new score of 2-1.

The bottom of the third inning gave the fans at Goss something to cheer about as junior Jacob Melton homered to center field. And since Meckler had walked previously, Melton scored two RBIs and gave the Beavers a lead of 4-1.

The bottom of the sixth brought the securing lead to OSU. First with junior Gavin Logan walking and junior Greg Fuchs doubling down the left-field line, which advanced Logan to third base.  Junior Jake Dukart then singled through the ride side and gained an RBI as Logan scored and Fuchs went to third.

Fuchs then scored on a wild pitch, bringing the score to 6-1.

The Beavers only went up from there as Forrester hit the second homerun of the day and brought Bazzana and Dernedde, who were previously on bases, to home plate. The inning ended with a whopping 9-1.

UCLA did put up numbers one last time in the top of the seventh inning as OSU’s pitcher, senior Jake Pfennigs, allowed three walks: Reyes, Perry, and graduate student Kenny Oyama. Sophomore Carson Yates proceeded to single through the left side and gained an RBI as he brought Reyes home and advanced Oyama to second and Perry to third base. Graduate student Jake Palmer also singled through the left side and gained an RBI as Perry scored, bringing the score up to 3-9.

The Beavers came out victorious against the Bruins as they won with a score of 9-3.

Despite the rocky start at the beginning of the series, Coach Mitchell Canham believed it only made his team stronger.

“Rather than getting worried, you just got to clear your head,” Canham said. “As we talked about as a staff and with the guys, what does adversity do? It has an opportunity to bring us all closer together and I thought it did that.”

Canham is also excited about this team making its first appearance in the PAC-12 tournament.

“Tournament mode is different,” explained Canham. “You know, you’re out there to win every stinking game. I think going into you know, regionals and supers in Omaha, having that kind of environment is different than just a weekend series. You know, you gotta be ready every day and then you start facing that, that elimination, and how do you respond to, so I think it’s a great thing.”

With the new PAC-12 tournament standings now secured, Melton agreed that going to the tournament this upcoming Wednesday is a great opportunity for OSU.

“We want to go and win that obviously,” said Melton. “I mean, if we win that we have a really good chance to be a top eight seed. I don’t think we’re too worried about that. We’re gonna go play our baseball no matter where we go. Yeah, I think it’s an opportunity to grow.”

The Beavers are not done yet, as by virtue of Cal’s win over Utah today, the Beavers will open the Pac-12 Tournament against the University of Washington, May 25, with the first pitch being thrown at 4:45 p.m.