Beaver Defense allows no scores from offense in first fall scrimmage

OMN+Sports

OMN Sports

Beaver Football’s first scrimmage of their fall camp was held Saturday with defense winning the day against offense by not allowing a touchdown during those two hours over the span of the 100 plays run. 

The strong showing from the Beaver defense may be an indication of what’s to come with their first game early next month against Boise State Sept. 3.

The offense for the Beavers did manage to make it down into the redzone on a couple of drives during the scrimmage but the Beaver defense kept the offense out of the end zone forcing them to settle for field goals.  

On the special team’s side of the ball, kicker Everett Hayes looked sharp converting most of his field goal attempts during Saturday’s scrimmage and redshirt freshman kickers Atticus Sappington and Josh McCormick also had field goal attempts in today’s scrimmage.  

Head Coach Jonathan Smith spoke highly of the defense’s performance after Saturday’s scrimmage.

“I thought they played with some great energy, thought they tackled well and was pleased with that side of the ball,” Smith said. “I thought we covered it well, it was clean on the back end and not bunch of PI’s or holds things like that.” 

Throughout the scrimmage today the starters only played a few series during Saturday’s scrimmage which likely contributed to no touchdowns being scored, but that was by design according to Smith.

“Everyone was getting turns today, really four groups going, all four phases going and special teams wanted to get everyone an opportunity to show where they are at after a week and half of camp,” Smith said. 

The Beavers practice on Monday and conclude out the week with their final scrimmage of fall training camp. 

Highlights from the Scrimmage 

• Redshirt sophomore defensive back Alex Austin had a pass break up on a deep pass thrown by Chance Nolan 
  • Sophomore defensive back Skylar Thompson was all over the field making plays, had an interception and a pass breakup in Saturday’s scrimmage. 
  • Red shirt junior wide receiver Jesiah Irish leaped over a defender to catch a pass in the middle of the field with the 2nd team offense
  • Redshirt freshman wide receiver Jeremiah Noga caught a deep pass on the sideline from Travis Throckmorton 
  • Defensive back Jack Kane intercepted a pass from redshirt freshman quarterback Ben Gulbranson in Saturday’s scrimmage with the 2nd team defense
  • Redshirt senior defensive lineman Cody Anderson and redshirt junior outside linebacker Andrew Chatfield combined for a sack on a play  
  • Freshman linebackers Melvin Jordan and Mathias Malaki-Donaldson got some playing time in the 3rd team defense.