Led by Damien Martinez, the Beavers find themselves bowl eligible once again following a win against Colorado

Kate Zinke

Freshman running back Damien Martinez celebrates after scoring a touchdown during the first half of Saturday’s game against Colorado inside of Reser Stadium. Martinez led the Beavers in total touchdowns with three.

Sydni Zidarevich, Sports Contributor

From a collection of consistent runs, accurate passes, and strong defense, the Beavers have accomplished something that they have not done since 2013: starting a season with a 6-2 record. 

The Oregon State Beavers beat the University of Colorado Boulder Buffaloes this Saturday at Reser Stadium with a score of 42-9.

This win makes the Beavers eligible for a bowl game for their second straight season. 

Going into the first quarter, Oregon State won the toss and deferred to the second half. Kicker Atticus Sappington delivered a 65-yard kickoff, to which Colorado freshman tailback Anthony Hankerson rushed up the middle for a gain of four yards to the Colorado 23 yard line. 

After an incomplete pass from Colorado quarterback J.T. Shrout to wide receiver Jordyn Tyson, Colorado punter Trent Carrizosa punted the ball 43 yards, to which Oregon State wide receiver Anthony Gould returned to the Colorado 47 yard line for 23 yards. 

Seven minutes into the first quarter, with the Beavers driving the ball, true freshman running back Damien Martinez rushed to the left for a touchdown, with Sappington’s goal kick deemed good. This energy set the tone for the rest of the game.

Just two and a half minutes into the second quarter, third-time consecutive starter Ben Gulbranson passed the ball up the middle to wide receiver Silas Bolden and advanced to the Colorado zero-yard line, giving the Beavers their second touchdown of the night, with Sappington giving another good goal kick.

Halfway through the second quarter, Colorado’s kicker Cole Becker’s field goal attempt from the 44 yard line was deemed good. The Beavers defense continued to push forward as Becker’s kickoff of 65 yards was returned by Bolden to the OSU 26 yard line. Martinez, once again, rushed up the middle for his second touchdown of the game.

By halftime, the score was 21-3, Oregon State.

Even with an 18 point advantage, the Beavers entered the second half of the game with determination. After a 65-yard kickoff from Becker, Oregon State took possession of the ball when Bolden returned the ball 20 yards to the OSU 20 yard line. 

Martinez rushed up the middle for a gain of one yard and Gulbranson completed a pass to Tyjon Lindsey for a first down. 

With Deshaun Fenwick out this week, Georgia Tech transfer Jamious “Jam” Griffin and Martinez played running back and made up the difference, as Griffin completed a pass from Gulbranson and advanced 42 yards to the Colorado 25 yard line. Gulbranson then passed the ball 60 yards to Jack Velling, who caught the ball at the Colorado 40 yard line and advanced to the 0, resulting in yet another touchdown for Oregon State. With two minutes left in the third quarter, tailback Jayle Stacks rushes the ball to the 0, resulting in a touchdown for Colorado.

With only 15 minutes left in the game, both the Beavers and the Buffaloes put everything they could into the game. Shrout completed a pass for 58 yards to Tyson, who caught the ball at the OSU 30 yard line and advanced 12 yards. Halfway through the last quarter, Martinez rushed up the middle for the final touchdown of the game.

Saturday’s win marks Oregon State’s third consecutive win as they enter next week’s bye.