Oregon State Beavers upset the undefeated Huskies with an end of game goal

Rafael Juarez

Freshman defender Max Gosset clears the ball versus redshirt senior midfielder Omar Grey in a match that ended in a tie score of 1-1 in Paul Lorenz Field on Oct. 21. The Beavers today ended the undefeated Huskies record with a score of 1-0.

The Oregon State men’s soccer team shocked fans by winning 1-0 against the No. 1 ranked Washington Huskies on Thursday night at Husky Soccer Stadium.

Being the final game of both teams, the Beavers’ win ended Washington’s undefeated record for the season and terminated their chance to be the first undefeated national championship team since 1989.

The game started slow, with both teams focusing on possession, and Washington’s defense quickly met the few offensive attempts by the Beavers.

Although the Huskies’ line-up was abnormal due to head coach Jamie Clark prioritizing health and rest for multiple starting athletes, Washington had numerous opportunities to score near the end of the first half. Still, freshman Jesus Sanchez shut down all advances from the Huskies. 

By the end of the first half, the score was 0-0, with Washington having a total of eight shots, four of them on goal, while the Beavers had a total of one shot on goal.

Kicking off the second half, things started to heat up even with freezing temperatures. The Beavers applied pressure to Washington’s defense early on and started to play more aggressively than in the first half. 

Both teams made continuous attacks, causing Jesus Sanchez to make multiple diving saves, totaling up to seven saves for the game, and Sam Fowler, the goalkeeper for the Huskies, to run off his line.

Tempers continued to rise as the second half played on, with the Beavers outraged at an uncalled handball by Khai Brisco of the Huskies and Washington infuriated at a foul by freshman Nacho Diaz of the Beavers. 

Nearing the end of the game at minute 84, freshman David Perez catapulted the Beavers into the lead with a winding low shot to the goal. 

With the seconds ticking down, Jesus Sanchez made his final saves, shutting the Huskies out for the first time this year and confirming the Beavers’ victory over Washington.

The Beavers finished the 2022 season with an overall record of 7-3-6.