The Beavers hold the Buffaloes to season low 52 points in victory

Kate Zinke

Freshman guard, Jordan Pope, drives past Nique Clifford en route to scoring two of his 19 total points for the game. Pope tallied 36 minutes in the game against Colorado.

A dominant second-half performance from freshman guard Jordan Pope propelled the Oregon State men’s basketball team to a 60-52 victory over the University of Colorado Saturday night at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis.  

Pope scored 17 of his 19 points in the second half against Colorado as the Beavers bounced back after Thursday’s 62-44 loss to the University of Utah Utes, holding the Buffaloes to a season-low 52 points.

The prior matchup between both teams saw the Buffaloes holding the Beavers to a season-low 42 points ending in a 62-42 Colorado victory. 

Early in the game, the Beavers started slow on both sides of the ball and the Buffaloes took advantage, jumping out to an early 4-0 lead in the first half. Senior forward, Rodrigue Andela, scored the first points for the Beavers on a second chance layup making the score 6-2 with 16:28 in the first half. 

However, the Beavers connected on their next three shots and sophomore forward Glenn Taylor Jr. gave the Beavers an early lead over the Buffaloes with a layup making the score 8-6. The Buffaloes answered the early scoring run by the Beavers with a three-pointer from junior forward, Tristan De Silva, giving Colorado an 11-8 lead. 

Colorado added to their lead with a three-pointer from graduate student guard, Ethan Wright, making the score 20-15 with 8:22 left in the first half. The Beavers cut into the Colorado lead with a pair of free throws from freshman center KC Ibekwe and Taylor Jr making the score 22-19. 

On the ensuing possession by the Beavers, freshman forward Michael Rataj hit a three-pointer tying the game 22-22 with 3:36 remaining in the first half. The Buffaloes regained the lead with a quick scoring run with a free throw from junior guard J’Vonne Hadley but the Beavers answered right back with a three-pointer from Nick Krass making the score 26-25 at halftime. 

Early in the second half, the Beavers wasted no time taking the lead back from Colorado making the score 27-26 on a layup from Andela. The Buffaloes reclaimed the lead again from the Beavers with a layup from Hadley making the score 34-31 at 15:42 in the second half after both teams traded early baskets in the second half. 

From there, Pope hit a three-pointer tying the game 34-34 for the Beavers with 13:28 left in the game. Pope then connected on another three-pointer giving the Beavers a 37-36 lead after a turnover by the Buffaloes. 

Pope hit his third three-pointer of the game making the score 40-36 with 11:13 in the second half extending the Beavers lead. The Beavers extended their lead again with Pope connecting on his fourth three-pointer of the game, making the score 45-36. 

The Buffaloes regained their offensive momentum cutting into the Oregon State lead with a free throw made by sophomore guard KJ Simpson making the score 45-37 with 8:29 left in the second half. The Beavers extended their lead again with Pope connecting on his fifth three-pointer of the game, making the score 48-42. 

A quick scoring run by the Buffaloes cut into the Oregon State lead with back-to-back three-pointers from De Silva making the score 50-47 with 5:17 in the second half. The Beavers quickly answered right back with a layup from Taylor making the score 52-47. 

On the next possession for the Beavers, junior guard Dexter Akanno connected on both of his free throw attempts making the score 55-49 with 1:58 left in the second half. De Silva connected on another three-pointer cutting the Beavers lead to four points and making the score 56-52 with 0:48 seconds remaining in the game. 

A pair of free throws from Taylor Jr. and Rataj extended the lead for the Beavers making the score 58-52 with 0:21 seconds remaining. A pair of free throws by Akanno sealed the game and the win for the Beavers making the score 60-52. 

For Oregon State, Pope led all scorers with 19 points after only scoring 11 points against the Utes. 

“I just played off my teammates, being aggressive, driving the lanes, creating gaps and kick outs. Then you know my coaches and the rest of my teammates trusting me, telling me to keep shooting and don’t lose confidence,” said Pope on his performance in the second half.   

Head coach Wayne Tinkle praised Pope’s performance on both sides of the ball and leadership on the court as being a key factor in the win over the Buffaloes. 

“This guy right here, I think he learned a valuable lesson the other night, and we needed him defensively to fight as much as we do offensively. He took the challenge tonight and I thought he did a helluva job, really set the tone at the top of our zone and our man-to-man, he grew up tonight,” said Tinkle. 

Taylor Jr. had a double-double scoring 14 points and 12 rebounds, Krass, Akanno, and Rataj each had five points. The Beavers know that there is still more to improve on even with the win and that is playing together consistently as a team despite the challenges with injuries that the team has faced this season. 

“We got to stay poised, execute what we have been doing and hang our hats on defense, just continuing this momentum on the road,” said Taylor Jr. 

For Colorado, De Silva led all scorers with 22 points and 15 rebounds, and Hadley had 11 points along with seven rebounds and two assists. Wright scored six points and center Lawson Lovering had four points.

Up next, the Beavers have a road matchup against the Arizona State University Sun Devils. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Thursday.