‘Run The Obstacle Course’ open to students to raise funds for food drive

El Guo

The obstacle course along SW Washington Way on Oregon State University campus on Feb. 19. The course is slated to be rebuilt on the east side of the Lorenz Soccer Field.

Wes Flow, News Reporter

Oregon State University students seeking strenuous exercise may be interested in the Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Run The Obstacle Course event, taking place this Saturday.

The event will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m at the Marine Obstacle Course on the south side of Goss Stadium, according to the NROTC’s Run The Obstacle Course pamphlet, and several prizes are available to top finishers.

According to Event Coordinator Lauri Morris, the event, which is being held for the first time this year, is raising funds for the OSU Food Drive.

“We are proud to be offering something creative and new this year to help raise money for the Food Drive,” said Morris. “We are especially sending out a challenge to the fraternities and sororities to come give it a try.”

Registration for event participants is $7 for those who sign up on the day of the event, or $5 for those who register in advance. Information on how to register in advance is available on the NROTC Facebook page.

“The course is the same as what the Marines do for official training,” said Morris, “so it is challenging.”

Morris added that participants can have someone coach them if they feel they need it. In addition to registering for the main event, participants can also take part in a practice session, with two available from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. Registration for the practice session is also $5 for advance registration or $7 for in-person registration, according to the RTOC pamphlet.

“We are not sure how many [participants] to expect, but we are hoping for about 150-200 people,” said Morris. “All money raised will go to the Food Drive, so we are hoping for a great turnout.”