Beavers launch four homers on 21 hits in dominant victory to sweep Coppin State

Kate Zinke

Sophomore infielder Travis Bazzana celebrates with infielder Mikey Kane after running in from third base in Goss Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Bazzana had two RBI’s in the third game of the series against Coppin State.

Casey Smith, Sports Contributor

After taking the first two games of the series, the Beavers chased the sweep in hopes of moving their record to 6-1.

Following a 35-minute weather delay, the Beavers were able to get on the scoreboard first. 

Leading off the game, junior infielder Brady Kasper launched a leadoff HR (1) into deep right-field on the second pitch of the game, pushing the Beavers out to an early 1-0 lead. 

In the top of third inning, the Coppin State Eagles strung multiple hits together to take the lead back from the Beavers. A triple from Eagles center fielder Brody Black with runners on-base sparking the rally. The Eagles followed up with RBI-single into right field by left-handed pitcher and two-way player Jordan Hamberg. A successful hit and run attempt by first baseman Sebastien Sarabia pushed the Eagles ahead 3-1.

The Beavers were able to respond by taking advantage of two leadoff walks. Freshman first baseman Jacob Krieg tied the game at three on a 3-1 count with a two RBI single into left field. 

At the top of the fourth inning, 2B Travis Bazzana earned himself a free trip to first on a hit-by-pitch forcing Eagles coach to make a pitching change. Junior left-hander Tim Ruffino came in to replace Hamberg. 

After moving himself into scoring position on a stolen base, Bazzana scored on yet another RBI-single from Krieg. The rally continued as short stop Mikey Kane launched a 3-run homerun into the parking lot, his first of the year. 

After the game Kane spoke about the support he’s received from his teammates.

“It’s an all around team idea,” Kane said.

When asked about the three-game sweep over Coppin State, Kane responded, “It’s phenomenal to pick up a sweep but job’s not done, we have got a lot more games left so we just need to keep tacking it on.”

Starting Pitcher Jared Gordon managed to keep his composure through four innings however junior relief pitcher A.J Lattery replaced Gordon in the fifth following back-to-back homeruns from Eagles heavy hitters Hamberg and Sarabia. Lattery closed the inning out for the Beavers as they led by two runs. 

Catcher Tanner Smith added one more to the Beaver lead in the bottom of the fifth with a solo homerun of his own making it 8-5. 

The Beavers maliciously continued to pour it on in the bottom of the fifth with a double into centerfield from Bazzana followed by a moon-rocket two-run HR (2) shot from third baseman Garret Forrester. Beavers extending their lead 11-5 against the Eagles. 

Following a scoreless half-inning from the Eagles, Mikey Kane lead off the inning for the Beavers with a triple into the left-center gap. Sophomore designated hitter Mason Guerra picked up the RBI for the Beavers on a sacrifice fly to left field. 12-5 Beavs. 

Relief pitcher and closer Ian Lawson entered for the Beavers in the seventh inning to silence the bats for the Eagles. Lawson dominated for three innings ending with

In the bottom of the eighth and a runner on first, Guerra doubled into right-field making the lead 14-5. Moments later, Tanner Smith added to his impressive day with an RBI-single, scoring Guerra from second. 

With runners in scoring position, Brady Kasper and Travis Bazzana poked base-hits into the outfield putting the Beaver lead to double digits. A two-RBI double from Gavin Turley followed by a Garrett Forrester single made it 19-5.

Eagles pitcher Giovanni Canales entered the game in the bottom of the 8th to stop the bleeding for Coppin State. 

Pitcher Ryan Brown would come in to close the final half-inning for OSU.

The next game the Beaver baseball team will play is on Thursday against Stanford at 6pm.