Travis Bazzana’s five RBI’s lift Beavers over Toreros to give Head Coach Mitch Canham 100th win. 

OMN+Sports

OMN Sports

Casey Smith, Sports Contributor

Tuesday night, the Beavers (10-2) faced the San Diego Toreros (5-6-1). The Beavers won the game with a score of 9-4, finishing off their season openers.

When Beaver relief pitcher Jacob Krieg entered at the top of the third inning, the Toreros were first to strike. Following an error on a tough throw from Beaver shortstop Mikey Kane, the Toreros used small-ball gameplay to their advantage. After moving runners over with a successful sacrifice bunt attempt from right fielder Angelo Peraza, two-way player Austin Smith sliced a flaring RBI-double down the left field line to put San Diego on the board 2-0.

In the bottom of the third inning, the Beavers were quick to retaliate. After a leadoff walk from Micah Mcdowell, infielder Travis Bazzana would begin his highlight-reel day sending a drive into deep left field for an RBI-double. Bazzana finished the game one single shy of hitting for the cycle. (Bazzana: 3-4, HR, 3B, 2B)

After outfielder Gavin Turley moved Bazzana into deeper scoring position, third-basemen Garret Forrester tied the game at 2 on a two-out single to right field. 

When Beaver pitcher Braden Boisvert stepped onto the mound, the Beaver defense began to tighten up. Catcher Wilson Weber got the opportunity to show off his arm, catching Torero infielder James Arakawa stealing to record the second out of the inning. Boisvert closed out the inning. 

As the Beavers took over offensively, Tyce Peterson began hunting the scoreboard once more on a single to left. At the top of the order, Mcdowell pushed them ahead 3-2 on a soft-hit to shallow left field.

In the top of the fifth inning, the Beavers gave a ring to the bullpen once again. Oregon State ended the game with five pitchers being thrown into the contest.

Left-handed pitcher Justin Thorsteinson entered the game for Oregon State in hopes of escaping a jam with runners on. 

When a sacrifice bunt from Smith forced a fielders choice, the Toreros were able to tie the game back at three.

A half inning later, the Toreros made their first pitching change of the game, retiring starter Ivran Romero for relief pitcher Mikiah Negrete. On a 3-2 count to leadoff the inning, Beaver outfielder Gavin Turley launched his fifth home run of the season.

With two outs, infielder Mason Guerra pushed the Beavers ahead with 2 outs on a RBI double into the gap. 5-3

After a scoreless inning from the Toreros’ offense, Bazzana would just about put the game to bed with his solo home run in the sixth inning. 

“Credit to the process of how we take every game this year. Just being able to trust the process and knowing results will come,” Bazzana said. 

In the final innings of the game, Beaver reliever Rhett Larson escaped danger from the Toreros with bases load to give them a scoreless seventh inning. 

In their final trips to the plate, freshman David Grewe retired the side following a successful sacrifice fly from Peraza.

Next up, the Beavers play the Washington State Cougars Friday at 5:35 p.m. at Goss Stadium.