New on-campus health center and pharmacy to open in late June with increased hours

Next time you’re at a doctor’s appointment on campus, you might also have the perfect vantage point to watch a game at Reser Stadium.

Oregon State University’s new Health Center, a collaboration between Student Health Services and Samaritan Health Services, is expected to open in late June, pending on time completion of the building. The building sits on the southern end of campus, and in some rooms, you might be just 12 inches from the edge of Reser Stadium, which offers patients much more parking and convenience than Student Health’s previous location at Plageman hall.

President of OSU Jayathi Murthy takes a moment to appreciate the view of Reser Stadium from an exam room during a tour of the new Health center located on the southwest side of campus on May 23. At its closest point, the new center is only 12 inches from Reser Stadium. (Ashton Bisner)

Lined with tan fir wood and floor-to-ceiling windows throughout, the new center is a step up from Plageman, offering an abundance of natural light and open space, as well as more rooms to treat patients in.

Student Health Services will continue to provide comprehensive care to students, with the added benefit of Samaritan Health Services providing same-day, after-hours care in the evenings and on weekends when Student Health Services isn’t open, said Kelly Hower, executive director of Student Health Services. 

Student Health Services hours of operation will continue to be Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. for in-person visits, with telehealth appointments being available until 6 p.m. 

Samaritan Health will be open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. on the second floor of the new building.

Doug Boysen (left), president and CEO of Samaritan Health Services, gives a speech to introduce the new Health Center after Jayathi Murthy’s speech on May 23 in front of the new center located on the southwest side of campus. The new Health Center is in collaboration with Student Health Services and Samaritan Health Services. (Ashton Bisner)

According to Mark Ylen, public information officer for Samaritan Health Services, they will have both an onsite Samaritan Family Medical Clinic, which will provide full-service primary care for students, faculty, staff and the community, as well as a SamCare Express offering everyone same-day treatment of health problems that are not life-threatening.

The first floor of the Health Center includes a lab space and occupational health services affiliated with Student Health Services, while the third floor provides conference rooms and allergy care. OSU’s Student Health provides reproductive healthcare through Oregon ContraceptiveCare and STI testing on the fourth floor of the Health Center. 

This summer will also bring a convenient new on-campus pharmacy for patients to pick up prescriptions, just across the parking lot from the Health Center.

Tour members gather in front of the new Health Center located on the southwest side of campus on May 23. Being an upgrade from Plageman, the new health center will be the spot for students to be provided with a variety of health services with collaboration efforts from Samaritan Health Services. (Ashton Bisner)

“Samaritan also will have a new pharmacy on campus located on the other side of Reser Stadium in the Samaritan Athletic Medicine building,” Ylen said. “The pharmacy is scheduled to open later this summer and will offer both convenient walk-up and curbside service along with free delivery of prescriptions by mail.”