Knights to Remember

OMN+Sports

OMN Sports

Noah Evans, Sports Contributor

As summer arrives and Beaver Nation disperses, a peculiar tranquility settles over our campus.

All of a sudden it becomes easy to find an elliptical machine at Dixon, there are no more “casual” spike ball games being played on the Intramural fields and, you can hear a pin drop while strolling down Monroe.

Amidst the melodic chirping of birds, the only sound that seems to interrupt the summer serenity is the crack of a wooden bat colliding with a thrown baseball — and that can only mean one thing: the Corvallis Knights are back at Goss Stadium. 

“The Knights are a summer college baseball team … not only do we always have Beavers play for us but we also feature college players from the entire northwest,” said Bre Miller, the team’s president, and Oregon State University alumnus. 

The Knights, who play in the West Coast League, have had several OSU players take the field for them, according to the Knights website. Former Beavers that have donned the Knights uniform include Nick Madrigal (2B, 2015), Adley Rutschman (C, 2016), and Steven Kwan (OF, 2016). Current Beavers Travis Bazzana (2B, 2021), Ryan Brown (RHP, 2022), and Tanner Smith (C, 2021-2022) have also spent their summers in Corvallis.

The Knights love to have fun and it just so happens they love to win while doing it. They lead the WCL in total wins (574), and since relocating to Corvallis from Gresham in 2007 they have won nine league titles, adding six in the last six seasons. 

For players, the Knights serve as an opportunity to fine-tune their game in the offseason. While it may be serious for the athletes, fans are urged to sit back, kick their feet up and enjoy a sunny day in Corvallis. 

“We really want there to be a reason to care to come to a Knights game besides the baseball,” said Miller. “Really making everybody feel included, like they are part of the show.” 

Miller added that every Friday or Saturday game last season had either a giveaway for fans or a fireworks display, something the Knights intend to continue this year.

From themed nights like Big League Chew Night to special events like Strike Out Cancer Night featuring unique jerseys and fundraising for charities, the Knights put on a show that’s fun for all ages. Their promotional schedule also includes giveaways of mini bats, hats, T-shirts, and more, according to the team website.

In order to serve the college students that call Corvallis home over the summer, the Knights feature adult beverage promotions including Two Towns Tuesdays, Wine Wednesdays, and Thirsty Thursdays feature four-dollar pours from local vendors that Corvallis residents know and love.

Recognizing the importance of reciprocation, the Knights consider giving back to their supportive community an integral part of their mission.

“Not only are we a summer entertainment option but we are also a pillar of the community,” said Miller. “We give back in donation packages to a lot of nonprofits for auctions and giveaways, we support youth sports and we sponsor the games room at the Boys and Girls Club in Corvallis … we really just try to be ingrained in the community and be a part of Corvallis.”

The Knights will play their first home game on June 15 at 6:35 p.m. The home-opener’s giveaway is a magnet schedule, and will also be the first “Thirsty Thursday” of the season, meaning specialty beer pours are just four dollars.