Memorial Union Quad under construction through rest of summer

Someone walking through campus, in front of the closed Memorial Union Quad on July 25, in Corvallis. The grass in the Quad has been shaved down, and grass seeded.
Grace Johnson

With classes, summer jobs, and START orientations underway, students and staff are left without the center stone of campus–the Memorial Union Quad.

Earlier this month, MU staff announced that a construction project would begin now on the MU Quad lasting through September 19. 

As of now, the grass has been cut, topsoil was added to level the surface and water lines are in the process of repair, according to Director Deb Mott of the MU.

“Funding is provided by the OSU Foundation. No student fees are being used as part of this project,” Mott said.

She also said that until September 19, “the MU Quad is offline.” However, Mott ensured it will be ready for fall term events.

This closure leaves summer students without the MU Quad over their term and leaves it unavailable for START Leaders, who facilitate OSU new student orientations, such as Riley Callahan.

“It’s a bit frustrating–it’s not exactly the nicest welcome for the new students–but, we’re still able to get everywhere that we need to by just walking around the edge,” Callahan said.

Callahan leads a group of about 25 students throughout campus for START tours. These tours always stop in the MU for a meeting, meaning that the construction project is directly in sight.

But Callahan feels that this was the best time to do this project. “If the idea was to limit impact on students…they could not have picked a better time.”

There is a live stream available to see the progress of this project on the OSU project website  and more information about construction here.