New Beaver volleyball coaches preparing for upcoming season

Head Coach Lindsey Behonick is ready to build a new team with her trusted assistant coaches
Lily Middleton
Oregon State’s 12th Head Volleyball Coach, Lindsey Behonick poses for a photo on Jan. 18 inside the volleyball office in Gill Coliseum. The Beavers recorded a 7-23 record last year prior to hiring Behonick.

A new era of Oregon State University volleyball is underway as new coaches and players reshape the roster as the team gears up for the 2023 season at Gill Coliseum.  

New Beaver volleyball head coach Lindsey Behonick has carefully selected her coaching staff which includes assistant coaches Abbie Wright, Peter Manguiat, and the newest addition, Becca Holtgeerts.

Behonick and Manguiat previously worked together on the coaching team at the University of Pittsburgh, where Behonick served as assistant coach for 10 years, developing a trusting relationship prior to their new positions at OSU. 

Wright and Behonick were opponents in their college years, according to Behonick, and have grown close through recruiting processes and playing against each other. The addition of Holtgeerts came from her connection with Manguiat as they had both worked together as volleyball coaches at California Polytechnic State University.

“Just her sense of organization, her poise, her professionalism, her willingness to learn, seeing the gratitude she had when I gave her a call, that supersedes everything,” Behonick said about hiring Holtgeerts “She wants to be here and be a part of this group.”

Holtgeerts expressed excitement when describing her journey into the position. 

“I was excited about the opportunity to grow and learn from Lindsey as she’s coming off of back-to-back final fours,” Holtgeerts said.

According to Behonick, her secret to developing a good supporting staff is to surround herself with individuals she trusts from past experiences both as a player and coach.

“I wanted to make sure that I had a lot of people on my staff that could complement me in areas that I am still evolving,” Behonick said. 

When recruiting for her new roster, Behonick’s main focus was recruiting good players who just want to play and strive for good competition. 

“No matter how long they’re a part of the program, they know they’ll impact it. They matter and I think the fans and the community will get a chance to see that on the court,” Behonick said.

Behonick’s coaching philosophy is held by three pillars: competitiveness, family, and fundamentals. She plans on building all-around players that can outplay any opponent using those three pillars as her guide.

“We’re always trying to find ways to win. Not just on the court or in the gyms for training, but in the classroom for everyday life and setting up our days to find success throughout,” Behonick said.

Beaver volleyball opens their 2023 season with their Orange and Black scrimmage on Aug. 12 at 1 p.m. The Beavers first match of the season is on the road against the University of Portland Pilots on Aug. 19 at 1:30 p.m. 

“I think this team is striving to get wins and I’m excited for that. I think you’re going to see a new aura to this group and it’s going to continue on throughout my time here,” Behonick said.