No. 15 Oregon State Beavers-No. 18 UCLA Bruins game preview

Oregon State Junior Wide Receiver Silas Bolden (#7) celebrates with teammates Redshirt-Sophomore Jack Kane (#24), Junior John Miller (#20), and Redshirt-Senior Rweha Munyagi Jr. (#8) after returning a punt 65 yards for a touchdown in Reser Stadium on August 9 2023. Bolden scored twice in the Beavers 55-7 victory over the UC Davis Aggies.
Sam Nicklous

On Saturday evening the No. 15 Oregon State Beavers are set to face the No. 18 University of California Los Angeles Bruins at Reser Stadium. 

Both the Beavers and the Bruins are coming off wins—the Beavers at the University of California Berkeley and the Bruins at home vs. No. 19 Washington State University. 

The Beavers QB1, DJ Uiagalelei, is coming off a notably stellar performance completing 19 of 25 passing attempts (76% completion rate) and five touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Passing game, DJ, those receivers making plays,” head coach Jonathan Smith said at a pre-game press conference.  

Bruin’s defensive coordinator D’Anton Lynn, a new hire during the offseason from the National Football League, is the new football brain that conference teams are learning to prepare for as the season progresses.

The Bruins’ defensive coaching powerhouse has taken offenses by storm as their opponents so far this season have not scored more than 20 points in a game. 

“I’m sure there’s some NFL concepts that he’s running,” said Smith about Lynn. 

The Defensive line is something this Beavers coaching staff has their eyes on as they practice for this PAC-12 battle.

“Really talented front seven that is going to be a big-time challenge for us…They do a nice job with one-on-one pass rush, they have a number of guys that can win one-on-one blocks and pressure the quarterback…That’s a huge challenge,” said offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren about the Bruin defense.

“It’s going to be a challenge for our guys up front, a good test for us,” Lindgren added. 

The Bruins have a talented rushing defense, but on the other hand, the Beavers also have a skilled running back room with sophomore Damien Martinez and senior Deshaun Fenwick holding down the backfield.

For the Beavers’ defense, they have the Bruins head coach Chip Kelly’s offense to look out for. 

“Watching him on tape week in and week out, he’s got new wrinkles, new concepts. The pace doesn’t change. These guys played with pace for years…He might be the innovator of going fast,” said Smith on Bruins head coach Kelly. 

True freshman quarterback for the Bruins, Dante Moore, has been solid so far this season leading the Bruins to a 4-1 start through the halfway mark. The Beavers’ defense sees him as a young quarterback who can be put under pressure easily. 

“You’re always trying to make the quarterback uncomfortable…I think the experience he’s had he’s put it on tape that he’s got good arm talent, they’ve got him in good situations,” said Smith on Moore.  

A player to note, Issac Hodgins, half lineman half fullback these days has the “best hands on the team,” as it is all being talked about amongst numerous players and coaches. Hodgins has two receptions on the season, one of them for a touchdown against Berkley. 

“I like that I can get out and run a bit,” said Hodgins.

Hodgins’s role is similar to former Beaver Swiss army knife Jack Colletto. 

“He is a different animal…He’s Jack Colletto,” said Hodgins when being compared to Colletto.

Offensively the Beavers have main playmakers: Jack Velling, Anthony Gould, Silas Bolden, and Martinez. All of whom had dominant performances in last week’s gridiron duel against Berkeley. 

“Those guys are good players…it was good to see a number of them show up in the same game and I thought DJ did a nice job distributing it and it was cool how it all worked out,” said Lindgren. 

Apart from their success, Uiagalelei was confident under center for the Beavers.

“He’s a lot more comfortable running the offense,” said Gould on Uiagalelei’s performance. 

“When we’re accurate and explosive, we are tough to defend,” said Smith on the Beavers offensive success. 

In this incoming strength-on-strength matchup, Reser Stadium will have a sold-out crowd to cheer on the Beavers during this homecoming game.

“We are Counting on Beaver nation showing up again at home cause we’re gonna need it. This place needs to be rocking at five for us to have our best effort,” said Smith.

Kickoff is set at 5 p.m. on Saturday. The game will also be televised nationally on FOX.