Breaking: Fire alert at Bloss Hall forces residents to evacuate

Corvallis+Fire+Department+on+scene+during+a+Bloss+Hall+fire+alert+at+3%3A11+a.m.+on+Oct.+27%2C+2023.+Residents+were+forced+to+evacuate+and+take+shelter+in+the+International+Living+and+Learning+Center.+
Noble Williams
Corvallis Fire Department on scene during a Bloss Hall fire alert at 3:11 a.m. on Oct. 27, 2023. Residents were forced to evacuate and take shelter in the International Living and Learning Center.

Update: 12:25 p.m.

Minutes before 3 a.m. this morning, the Corvallis Fire Department were called to Bloss Hall on the Corvallis campus after the building’s ventilation system ignited and filled all seven levels with smoke.

At 3:11 a.m., OSU Public Safety notified students and staff of a campus-wide fire alert for the dorm on the Corvallis campus after smoke was reported, advising all residents to evacuate and avoid elevators.

The first alarm response before 3 a.m. drew a battalion chief, ladder truck, three fire engines and a medic unit, witnessing smoke on the first floor. However, the Bloss Hall alarm system found there was smoke in another part of the building.

Firefighters on the scene entered the basement and discovered the source of the smoke was the ventilation system. They quickly extinguished the fire while ensuring all residents were safely outside.

For the following hours, Corvallis Fire crews ventilated all of the levels of the building, completed shortly after 6 a.m..

Residents were forced to evacuate from the time the alert was sent until the emergency was over at 5:16 a.m., and took shelter at the International Living and Learning Center.

There were no reported injuries of residents during the emergency.