OSU events to honor, learn, celebrate Native Heritage month

Jess Hume-Pantoso

November marks Native and Indigenous Heritage Month and Oregon State University will offer events to learn and celebrate Indigenous culture all month long. 

• Documentary  screening of “Covenant of The Salmon People”

The documentary centers the story of the Nez Perce tribe and their connection to Chinook Salmon to amplify the difficulties the salmon have faced and the Nez Perce’s story will be playing at the Kaku-lxt Mana Ina Haws on Nov. 7 from 5-7 p.m..

• Fire is life: Living in relation to Indigenous fire practices of western Oregon 

An event hosted by the Champinefu Lecture series and Spring Creek Project is a three part lecture series.

The lecture will center on discussions of the complexities and diversities of Indigenous fire practices. The talk will be led by Joe Scott, a member of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians and recipient of the 2023 Indigenous Place Keeping Artist Fellowship. The talk will be held virtually on Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. and registration is required. 

• Harvesting Truth, Diverse perspectives on thanksgiving

A community dialogue hosted by Community Engagement and Leadership and Kaku-lxt Mana Ina Haws, seeks to cultivate connection and delve into the roots of Thanksgiving. 

The dialogue will also dive into Indigenous perspectives that are often overshadowed in mainstream society, according to an Instagram post from @communityengagementos. 

The event will be held on Nov. 13 from 5-7 p.m. in room 109 in the Memorial Union in a story-circle format. Registration is required beforehand. 

• Two-Spirit Stories of Resilience 

This event will explore and educate about the Two-Spirit identity and celebrate resilience in Indigenous communities. 

The event will be held on Nov. 15 from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Kaku-lxt Mana Ina Haws. 

Registration is not required but there will be a sign-up available for those looking to share their stories. The sign up will be posted closer to the event through the @ina_haws Instagram.  

• Weaving Workshop with a Master Weaver 

Native Heritage month events will close out with a weaving how-to from a master weaver. The event will be held in the Kaku-lxt Mana Ina Haws on Nov. 21 from 4-6 p.m. and pre-registration is not required to attend.