OSU choirs to hold concert as tribute to former professor

Courtesy of Zachary Person
Director Sandra Babb conducting the OSU University Chorale at a Music a la Carte session in the Memorial Union lounge. 

This week, voices of the choir will fill the room, transporting listeners back in time using past sounds of Oregon State University choruses.

On Nov. 9 at 7:30 p.m., the OSU Chamber Choir, auditioned mixed choir, Meistersingers men’s choir and Bella Voce women’s choir, are performing past OSU pieces at First United Methodist Church. 

The concert will honor Robert Walls, a former professor of music at OSU who retired in 1947.

According to Steven Zielke, the director of choral studies at OSU, Walls revolutionized the choirs for the school for 27 years, and alongside that, toured Europe with a group of select singers that together formed the “Choralaires.” 

Zielke said Walls retired as an OSU Alumni Distinguished Professor, landing him the deserved title of a “legend” among choral circles at OSU.

They will also be fundraising for the music department at OSU at the concert to help them continue teaching the art of choral singing on campus.

When asked about the choir community at OSU, Zielke said the choirs are “community reliant.”. 

“More than one in five households have at least one singing family member, making choral singing the most popular form of performing arts for adults and children. Showing that singing is not an obsession of a select few,” Zielke said. 

Zielke said the choirs at OSU are more than just an activity, but alsois a chance to connect with yourself and others through music.