Maui wildfire relief drive to be held on campus

Rida Kauser

Hui O Hawai’i, Oregon State University’s Hawaii Club and partner organizations are holding a donation drive to support communities and families impacted by the Maui wildfires.

The drive will be held on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the Asian and Pacific Cultural Center and Dec. 3 at the OSU Valley Football Center, as advertised on the club’s Instagram page.

Donations will be accepted between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on the 30th, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on the first and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the third.

Speaking to the impact of the Maui Wildfires on students and the importance of the drive, Hui O Hawai’i club President Chanah Tanioka said that the club is hoping to demonstrate their strength as a community both at home and in Corvallis.

“We really just want to show (students) that there is a big community here and that we’re all trying to give that feeling of Oregon and the aloha spirit to the valley,” said Tanioka.

According to Tanioka, donations of feminine products and gift cards are particularly needed, and donating children’s toys is also encouraged as the holiday season coincides with families rebuilding their homes.

She added that cash donations are also welcome and can be made through the QR code on the drive’s poster.

Donations from the drive will be given to businesses in Maui for distribution, or directly to the families in need, according to Tanioka.

Tanioka also said that those wishing to donate time can volunteer to collect, sort and package items at the drive. Those who wish to volunteer can fill out a form via the club’s Instagram.

According to Tanioka,  the club believes in the supportive community found at OSU to make the drive successful.

“We have just such a big heart for this community and we know that they will help us out in the end,” Tanioka said.