Damien Martinez arrested for DUII, will not play in bowl game

Jason May
Damien Martinez runs down the field against the University of Oregon at Autzen Stadium in Eugene on Nov. 24.

Update (8:47 p.m. PST):

Damien Martinez will not be playing in the Beavers’ upcoming bowl game after his arrest Wednesday night for allegedly driving under the influence of intoxicants, according to Scott Barnes, Oregon State University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.

In a statement this evening, Barnes said, “We are aware of the alleged law violations involving Damien Martinez and take these matters very seriously. Damien will not be participating in the upcoming bowl game and we will continue to gather more information about the investigation.”

Original Story (4:29 p.m. PST):

Corvallis Police confirmed Thursday Oregon State University running back Damien Martinez was arrested Wednesday night after allegedly driving under the influence of intoxicants.

According to the Corvallis Daily Activity Log,  a 19-year-old Corvallis male was arrested for DUII after being stopped for running a red traffic light at the intersection of NW second Street and NW Van Buren Avenue. He was charged with DUII/Reckless Driving/Reckless Endangering, and cited for Minor In Posession-marijuana.

Captain Joel Goodwin of the Corvallis Police Department confirmed that Marinez was the 19-year old arrested.

Goodwin said the officer pulled over Martinez around 11:40 p.m. Wednesday and “observed the odor of freshly-burned marijuana coming from the car.”

Martinez, a sophomore, racked up more than 1,000 rushing yards and rushed for nine touchdowns this season. Martinez was the 2022 PAC-12 Offensive Freshman Of The Year, and is a semi-finalist for the 2023 Doak Walker Award, given to the nation’s top college running back.

View Comments (8)