Upcoming events to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By Eric Branner
Jason Dorsette, director of Advancing Academic Equity for Student Success, leads the 2019 MLK Jr. Peace March.

In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Oregon State University will be hosting three events, with one occurring Saturday and two occurring the following Monday.

The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service event will take place on Saturday, Jan. 13 and include a light breakfast, snacks and a lunch, as well as the opportunity for those at Oregon State University to do volunteer work within the community.

The event will have check-ins throughout the day in the Memorial Union Horizon Room, with transportation to and from projects being provided.

On Monday, Jan. 15 the Cascade Ballroom will host the annual Peace Breakfast in commemoration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Peace Breakfast will last from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and include the awarding of the Phyllis S. Lee award, Frances Dancy Hooks Award, Oscar Humberto Montemayor Award and the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Alumni Legacy award to nominees.

The Peace Breakfast will be followed by the annual Peace March from 11:00 a.m. to noon, and will cover a one-mile route from the Alumni Center to the Memorial Union.

The Peace Breakfast and Peace March are part of Oregon State University’s 42nd annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. commemoration event.

The commemoration event will feature keynote speaker Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, who will be addressing the intersections of race and class in the pursuit of Black liberation, according to the event’s website.

People interested in the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service or the Peace Breakfast may register at the Oregon State University event page, and registration is required for participation.