President Murthy to co-host International Women’s Day celebration

Jayathi+Murthy+pictured+in+the+Student+Experience+Center+Plaza+on+June+7%2C+2022+during+a+reception+for+her+being+selected+to+be+Oregon+State+Universitys+16th+president.+
Jason May
Jayathi Murthy pictured in the Student Experience Center Plaza on June 7, 2022 during a reception for her being selected to be Oregon State University’s 16th president.

Oregon State University community members can join President Jayathi Murthy and the university’s female leaders in celebrating International Women’s Day, as they honor all women who keep OSU running.

On March 7, President Murthy will be co-hosting this celebration in the Memorial Union Main Lounge with Provost Edward Feser from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

According to Kayleen Eng, events and communications specialist, the reception event is open to everyone, with remarks from the president, provost, OSU Distinguished Professor of Public Health Marie Harvey, Professor of Sociology Catherine Bolzendhl and other guest speakers.

According to Eng, International Women’s Day was established in 1975 and is a global holiday celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women everywhere. Along with celebrating women’s equality, the day also serves as a call to action.

IWD has been observed for well over a century, having its roots in labor organizations in North America and Europe and being propelled by the push for universal female suffrage. The first IWD meeting was supported by more than a million people in 1911. IWD now jointly belongs to all groups worldwide. IWD is not exclusive to any one nation, ethnicity or group.

According to Eng, the event’s concept will follow the UN’s theme for IWD 2024 which is, “Count Her In: Invest in Women. Accelerate Progress.”