OSU to host 18th annual Empty Bowls event

Rida Kauser

It all started in 1990 when a Michigan high school teacher, along with his students, thought of an event to raise money for a food drive.

The project spread across the nation as a way to raise money for food insecurity and hunger, and will return to Oregon State University for the eighteenth time on Saturday.

OSU’s School of Language, Culture and Society will be hosting the annual Empty Bowls event on March 9 at the McNary Dining Center from 5-7 p.m.

Tickets range from $5-$20, and can be purchased with cash, check or dining dollars.

Sarah Cunningham, a senior instructor of anthropology involved with the event, said that this year’s event is made possible by students in a section of the experiential and service learning course FCSJ 406.

“They are the ones who secured the donations we needed for the meal and the items for auction and raffle. They also promoted the event, put together the event slideshow, built out the auction site and by the end of this week they will have hauled boxes of ceramic bowls to McNary and helped with hosting the meal itself,” Cunningham said.

The proceeds will go to three different beneficiaries: OSU’s Basic Needs Center, which runs the campus food pantry and other programs, the Full Plate Fund, which supports students in campus housing with dining plans who experience food insecurity and Fresh and Local First!, a nonprofit that works to make farmers markets in Linn and Benton counties more accessible.

Cunningham mentioned that those in attendance can expect a meal of soup, prepared and served by UHDS, which will include vegan and allergen-friendly options, as well as bread and dessert.

The first 150 people will get a souvenir ceramic bowl and on the tables, guests will see “food for thought” questions. There will also be a raffle during the meal.