Clothing swap set to return to MU

Landon Marks
The MU Brick Mall, where ASOSU is putting on a clothing swap in Corvallis, Oregon on May 23, 2024

Students will have an opportunity to exchange their used clothing items on Wednesday at a clothing swap at the Memorial Union Brick Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

This event, the Associated Students of Oregon State University Clothing Swap, is organized by ASOSU in partnership with the Sustainability Council and OSU Panhellenic Council.

Students are invited to bring their used clothing items to exchange for other donated pieces. Although donations are encouraged to support the swap, they are not mandatory; participants are welcome to take home new items even if they do not bring any of their own.

Audrey Schlotter, the ASOSU student engagement and marketing director, provided insights into the event’s origins and growth. Schlotter, who joined ASOSU in November, explained that the idea for the clothing swap took root during 2023 Welcome Week, where it received an overwhelmingly positive response.

“During Welcome Week, they did a clothing swap here and it ended up going really well. It’s been on the top of everyone ‘s mind to be able to do another clothing swap,” Schlotter said. “Winter term, the weather wasn’t great, so it’s happening now in the spring term. It’s really exciting.”

Schlotter clarified that the fall clothing swap was the first to take place. The event was created as a way to implement current ASOSU President Carissa O’Donnell and Vice President Dakota Canzano’s campaign to make sustainable practices easier and more accessible for students.

One of the key aspects of this year’s event is the collaboration with the Sustainability Council and OSU Panhellenic Council. Schlotter highlighted the benefits of these partnerships, noting that they bring more voices and perspectives into the planning process, create a welcoming environment and strengthen connections between different campus organizations.

“Having more hands in the bucket helps us make the event bigger and better,” Schlotter said.

In addition to the clothing swap, the event will feature live music from Loose Lettuce and tabling by various sustainability-focused clubs.

When it comes to logistics, the clothing swap operates on a simple principle: trade what you don’t want for what you do. Schlotter encouraged participants to bring clean, appropriate clothing items and in return, they can pick up whatever catches their eye.

“You don’t even need to bring clothes, you can just come and take some as well,” Schlotter said.

The goal is for students to have a “sustainable way to clean out their closet and a sustainable way to shop.”

For those wondering about leftover items, Schlotter assured that nothing goes to waste. Any unclaimed clothing will be donated to the Vina Moses Center in Corvallis.

Reflecting on the last clothing swap, Schlotter noted that the response had been overwhelmingly positive, and with the added support from the Sustainability Council and OSU Panhellenic Council, she expects this year’s turnout to be even greater.

Student engagement is crucial for the success of the clothing swap. Schlotter encouraged students to participate by bringing clothes to swap and interacting with the event.

“The best way to support this event is by getting involved,” she said. “We want to keep this going, and strong student turnout will help ensure that.”