OSU planning ahead for potential classified worker strike

OSU Classified staff rally members speaking with executive members in front of Kerr Administration 1500 SW Jefferson Avenue. 

The Baro Staff

Oregon State University has released a list of services which will be impacted on Monday, should classified employees go on strike. 

While classes will continue in the case of a strike, the university will offer limited services, including shorter operating hours for food service, the Valley Library and healthcare services. Specific hours will be available online in the event of a strike. 

Last-minute negotiations are occurring between Oregon’s public universities, including OSU, and the Oregon branch of SEIU, a classified workers’ union, in an attempt to come to a mutually agreeable resolution regarding classified worker wages and benefits and prevent the strike. 

According to an email released by OSU, if a strike occurs, dining centers would serve food only during during peak meal periods. 

Student Health Services would provide limited immunizations, lab services and nursing services. They would be open from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., although the same-day health clinic located in Tebeau Hall would shut down. 

The Valley Library would operate from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. during weekdays and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. during weekends.

The teaching hospital, small animal hospital and large animal hospital run by the College of Veterinary Medicine would close, although emergency care would be provided on a limited basis. 

Campus Mail deliveries and UPS packages would be available, but OSU students and employees expecting a package delivery via UPS would need to travel to Printing and Mailing Services to retrieve their package. FedEx service would continue without modification. Outgoing packages intended to be shipped by UPS would need to be taken to Campus Surplus.