Oregon State Football kicks off 2019 spring game

Paul Gasper, News Contributor

Oregon State Football played a spring scrimmage game at Reser Stadium on Saturday afternoon in preparation for the upcoming fall 2019 season.

Saturday’s game took place after a 15-day training period. According to OSU Associate Athletics Director Steve Fenk, results of this training were noticeable in game play.

“We’re making strides offensively,” Fenk said. “It was a really good wrap up to 15 days of hard work.”

In regards to defense, Fenk said that there has been good progress made, which helps out the rest of the team.

“We’ve made some real strides, and I think it’s created some real competition to allow the offense to continue to improve,” Fenk said. “We like the progress that we’ve done.”

Fenk added that the spring game is important for younger players to gain experience on the field, including OSU freshman linebacker Jesiah Irish.

“It’s a good thing in regards to getting young guys terms, and reps and experience,” Fenk said. “We want these young guys developing and I think they’re doing it.”

According to OSU senior linebacker Andrzej Hughes-Murray, individual hard work will benefit the teams performance overall.

“We just gotta keep getting better as individuals. Overall, I think that we’ll continue to grow and get better,” Hughes-Murray said.

Hughes-Murray added that the team is prepared for summer training.

“We know what to expect. We have a bunch of veteran guys coming back, a bunch of seniors, under the same program, under the same coaching staff, so we know what to expect from them and they know what to expect from us,” Hughes-Murray said.

Oregon State Football’s fall season will begin on Friday, Aug. 30, when they take on Oklahoma State at Reser Stadium, game time is to be disclosed.