Dawson, Wingeleth find wins at OSU High Performance Meet

Evan Baughman, Sports Contributor

OSU junior high jumper Ann Wingeleth and senior javelin thrower Destiny Dawson won their competitions outright Saturday afternoon at Whyte Track and Field Center, while ten other Beavers placed within the top three of their events at the Oregon State High Performance meet.

Wingeleth won the high jump competition with a 5-foot 6-and-a-half inch clearance. Portland State sophomore Ceil Dunleavy came in second place with a 5-foot 4-and-a-half inch jump.

According to Wingeleth, placing first in front of the home crowd was a great feeling.

“It’s always fun to compete at home with a large cheering section,” Wingeleth said. “I’m grateful to have supportive friends, family, teammates and coaches who push me to higher heights. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks at Pac-12’s, I can get the marks I have been striving to hit.”

In the javelin competition, OSU’s Destiny Dawson led all competitors with a throw at 161 feet, taking first place in the event. Oregon sophomore Alexis Rigmaiden placed second with a throw of 155.7 feet, followed by Oregon State freshman Jordyn Slater who placed third throwing 154.5 feet.

In the women’s 100-meter hurdles competition, Oregon State’s Claire Corbitt placed second with a time of 14.41 seconds. This was a personal record for Corbitt in the 100 meter hurdles. Oregon senior hurdler Khadejah Jackson took first in the competition with a time of 13.87 seconds.

“I feel good about my time,” Corbitt said. “I’ve been working to achieve this time for the last two meets to drop from a 14.60 to this 14.41. I think this will only get better and it’s always great to run against faster people to push you.”

This was the Beavers’ final meet before traveling to Tucson, Arizona for the Pac-12 Multi-event championships beginning on May 4.