OSU Women’s Soccer takes down WOU in spring opener

Wsoccer spring

Lillian Nomie, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Women’s Soccer took down Western Oregon University in their first spring season exhibition match on Thursday night at Student Legacy Park with a final score of 3-0.

According to OSU Head Coach Matt Kagan, the team did well for their first match, but there is still room for improvement. He added that the team achieved a fair amount and the players performance showed him what areas they have already improved in.

“Overall I am fairly pleased,” Kagan said. “This team didn’t score a lot last year so for our team to get three goals the first time coming out is a positive for us.”

Kagan added that his goal for the team this year is to continue to improve everyday. He wants to see the players better themselves on and off the field, as well as in the the classroom.

“The motto for the team and the program is the commitment to get better everyday. I want to see internal growth with the team and get better every time we’re out,” Kagan said. “It’s not necessarily always about the results, although this spring I told this team it’s important we can find ways to win. To see success in these guys and see them smile is a positive for me.”

OSU redshirt junior Toni Malone said the players have improved a lot from the beginning of the winter but they still have to work to do.

“We scored three good goals and I think that this is the best that we have played in a while. I am pretty happy with it and I think we are all pretty happy with how tonight went,” Malone said. “For spring season we are looking to improve everyday and I think if we do that we are going to get where we want to be.”

The OSU Women’s Soccer team will take on the University of Portland on April 14 at 1 p.m. in Portland.