No. 15 Oregon State Gymnastics wins four-way meet on senior night

OSU gymnast McKenna Singley performing her floor routine against Bowling Green and Alaska Anchorage. Singley celebrated her senior night in the four-way meet against Iowa, North Carolina and Seattle Pacific University on Friday night at Gill Coliseum.

Evan Baughman, Sports Contributor

No. 15 Oregon State Gymnastics bested Iowa, North Carolina and Seattle Pacific University on Friday night at Gill Coliseum with final scores of 196.550-195.425-191.750-190.625.

The Beavers, who competed in their last home meet of the regular season, now have a 7-3 record on the season.

According to sophomore Kaitlyn Yanish, the energy of senior night helped boost the Beavers to first place.

“I feel like there was a lot of really good energy tonight, especially with it being senior night,” Yanish said. “Right from the start of floor I could really feel the energy building up higher and higher. Then we got our first 9.9. I didn’t think too much about the scores, I just really think about going out and having so much fun, doing the best that I can do. I think that’s really what happened tonight.”

Yanish, who won the floor competition with a score of 9.95, said that her consistency has been the key to her successful performances.

“Just consistency has been the most important thing. Doing what I do in the gym at the meet is really important,” Yanish said.

OSU freshman Madi Dagen took first place on the balance beam with a score of 9.900, and junior Sabrina Gill won the bars competition outright with a score of 9.900.

Oregon State Head Coach Tanya Chaplin said that she encouraged her team to use the meet as a break from worrying about next week’s final exams

“It was an opportunity for them to really just enjoy their performances and not focus as much on the scores,” Chaplin said.

Senior McKenna Singley said she was very proud of herself and her fellow seniors performances in their last regular season meet at Gill Coliseum.

“To be able to go out there with those two, we truly are best friends not only in the gym but outside as well, we live together,” Singley said. “So to be able to go out there and perform like we did today is not like many feelings. It’s been an incredible journey and I am so proud of them and what we did tonight.”

Oregon State’s next competition will take place on Saturday, March. 23, where they will travel to West Valley City, Utah, for the Pac-12 Championships meet.