Oregon State Baseball earns first season loss to West Virginia

OSU redshirt senior pitcher Sam Tweedt throwing a pitch against the Mountaineers. Tweedt started on the mound for the Beavers, throwing 69 pitches through five innings.

Evan Baughman, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Baseball lost to the West Virginia Mountaineers Sunday afternoon at Goss Stadium with a final score of 2-0.

The Beavers, who had won their previous ten games, were only able to record a total of three hits against WVU.

West Virginia sophomore infielder Kevin Brophy hit a solo home run to lead off the second inning, followed by another one run homer from WVU sophomore catcher Kevin Mcintosh.

WVU starting pitcher Kade Strowd threw 105 pitches through six innings allowing only one hit with nine walks. OSU Interim Head Coach Pat Bailey said that the Beavers need to improve at the plate moving forward.

“No kidding. I mean it was ridiculous. That guy who started the game against us, Strowd, had nine walks. And we had the five double plays. I mean that’s your ball game right there,” Bailey said. “We need to improve offensively.”

Redshirt senior pitcher Sam Tweedt started on the mound for the Beavers, throwing 69 pitches through five innings. Bailey said that he thought the Beavers pitching and defense performed well.

“I thought Tweedt did a good job today. He left a couple balls up and they both got hit out of the park but that’s baseball. I mean we only gave up two runs today so our pitching staff is fine,” Bailey said.

Junior infielder Beau Philip, who accounted for two of the Beavers three hits, said he thought that OSU came out flat to start the game.

“I just thought we came out a little bit flat and didn’t compete as well as we could have,” Philip said.

The Beavers will attempt to bounce back Friday, March 8, where they will take on Minnesota at 3 p.m. in the Seattle Showcase.