No. 2 Oregon State Baseball takes series against Mountaineers

OSU junior infielder Beau Philip (Right) taps hats with sophomore catcher Troy Claunch (Left) after hitting his first of two home runs on the day. 

Evan Baughman, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Baseball defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers Saturday afternoon at Goss Stadium with a final score of 4-2.

The Beavers took a 1-0 lead after junior infielder Beau Philip hit a solo home run to lead off the second inning.

“I just tried to swing early and hit my fast balls, that’s pretty much all I did,” Philip said.

West Virginia scored a pair of runs in the top of the fourth inning to take the lead. Shortly after the bottom of the same inning, Philip stepped up to the plate and hit his second home run of the game, this time bringing in two runs.

“You’ve just have to have the mentality to be a dog out there,” Philip said.

After the game, OSU Interim Head Coach Pat Bailey said that the Beavers defense is the number one reason they are off to a strong start.

“Our pitching and defense is the number one reason we are 10-0. We only have four errors in ten games,” Bailey said

Senior pitcher Bryce Fehmel started for the Beavers on the mound, throwing for six innings and 95 pitches. He was relieved by sophomore Nathan Burns who pitched an inning, and sophomore Christian Chamberlain who closed out the game.

With Saturday’s win, The Beavers clinched the best-of-the-three game series versus West Virginia. Game three of the series will take place on Sunday, March. 3, at 1 p.m.