Oregon State Swimming sinks to Washington State in late meet

Swimmers from Oregon State and Washington State take their dive into the water at Osborn Aquatic Center. 

Lillian Nomie, Sports Reporter

On Friday evening, the Oregon State swim team took on Washington State in a Dual Meet at the Osborn Aquatic Center with a final score of 148-114.  

This loss puts the Beavers’ overall record at 3-7, and their Pac-12 record at 0-5.

Junior Ariana Letrari, a regular at the 200m butterfly, took two wins tonight in both the 100m and 200m butterfly.

“I think my races went amazing today. I was more happy about the 100 because I usually do the 200 fly and I am not really a sprinter,” Letrari said. “I just tried to go really fast and I got the seasons best time, so I am really happy about that. The 200 fly I just wanted to win and I did. I am really proud of myself and the whole team.”

Freshman Cali Rowland set new personal records in two of her events on the night. For the 100m breaststroke, Rowland took her 1:06.42 time down to 1:05.79. In the 200m individual medley, she beat her previous time of 2:14.19 by a little over two seconds, setting her new career best at 2:12.77.  

“I set two new in season best times, which is really exciting because we are training so hard, we have another meet tomorrow so it’s exciting to go fast today and then have another opportunity to swim fast again tomorrow,” Rawland said. “I had a lot of fun. I was really excited this whole day and we were really excited this whole week leading up to this weekend. Coming here with a positive mindset and the want to swim fast and to do well are some of the biggest things that helped me be successful today.”

In the meet, freshman Kristiana Schneider set two personal record in both the 200m and 100m freestyle. Despite spraining her left ankle last Tuesday, she was able to take her person best in the 200m freestyle down to 1:53.43, and her 100m freestyle from 52.87 seconds to 52.42.  

“I just wanted to swim really fast and be close to my past times. I wasn’t thinking I would swim my best times because I had an injury. I payed a lot more attention to small details like my turns and I think that helped lead me to success,” Schneider said.

OSU Head Coach Jennifer Buffin said she was very proud of the way the team performed in the meet. Throughout the week, she had been talking with the players about arriving as a team and working together to perform well.

“I thought that this was one of our best performances all season. How we came out, the way we focused and how we took what we talked about all week and put it into action tonight,” Buffin said.

The Oregon State Swim team will be back at the Osborn Aquatic Center Saturday, Feb. 2 at 10 a.m to take on Idaho State.