Oregon State Men’s Basketball complete Civil War sweep

OSU freshman Eli Glenzel celebrates the win over Oregon after the clock hits zero. Glenzel got onto the court for the first time in his career in Saturday, recording a rebound in his 12 seconds of play. 

Evan Baughman, Sports Reporter

Oregon State Men’s Basketball defeated their rival University of Oregon on Saturday night at Gill Coliseum with a final score of 72-57.

The Beavers (16-8, 8-4) who trailed 28-27 at the half, were able to put together a strong performance after halftime starting with a 14-0 run to begin the momentum. Oregon found themselves in early second half foul trouble, and were in the double bonus with 5:03 left to play.

OSU senior guard Stephen Thompson Jr. was the standout player for the Beavers, tallying a total of 21 points on 7-15 from the field, and 4-8 from the 3-point line.

“This is always a big game for us, a big game for the crowd and the fans. Through my four years at Oregon State the fans have always been great, the best fans in the country and the conference,” Thompson Jr. said. “Just wanted to go out tonight in my last Civil War game and give a win for them, playing hard and giving it my all.”

Senior center Gligorjie Rakocevic, who shot 4-4 from the field, was proud of the way he and the Beavers performed in his last Civil War game.

“This one is huge for us. The best feeling ever. I feel like this is the best game we have ever played as a team,” Rakocevic said.

OSU Head Coach Wayne Tinkle, who has now recorded his fourth career win against the Ducks, praised the Oregon State fans for their intensity.

“Our student section and the crowd in general made the difference tonight,” Tinkle said.

Defensively, The Beavers were able to hold Oregon forward Kenny Wooten to four points on 1-2 from the field and two made free throws.

“The big key was to be really really physical with him offensively. he has a big impact on the game,” Tinkle said. “He is one of the best shot blockers out there.”

Near the end of regulation, OSU freshman forward Eli Glenzel entered the game for his first minutes since being called up from the women’s practice squad. Glenzel recorded 12 seconds of play in the game, but grabbed his first career rebound before the clock ran out.

“The great thing was when we won down there, I met his parents for the first time. Mom was in tears,” Tinkle said. “That’s what we’re all about. Giving people opportunities, those who earn opportunities, that’s what they get.”

The Beavers will head down to UCLA this Thursday as OSU continues to hunt for the top seed heading into the Pac-12 tournament on March 13.