No. 12 Oregon State Women’s Basketball takes down UCLA on senior day

OSU sophomore Aleah Goodman (Middle) and Taya Corosdale (Left) walk to the bench with senior center Joanna Grymek. Goodman led the Beavers in scoring with 21 points to help OSU take down UCLA with a final score of 75-72.

Evan Baughman, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Women’s Basketball defeated the UCLA Bruins on Sunday afternoon at Gill Coliseum with a final score of 75-72.

The No.12 ranked Beavers (23-5, 13-3) are now on a three-game win streak with the victory over UCLA.

Oregon State freshman guard Aleah Goodman led the team in scoring with 21 points, including a dagger three point shot with 42 seconds left in the game to give the Beavers a five point lead.

“Obviously it was a close game. I think we were up by two at that point,” Goodman said. “It gave us a little more separation. A little bit more room, not to relax, but just a little bit more confidence.”

In a close game where the largest lead by either team was seven points, The Beavers were able to rely on junior guard Mikayla Pivec to secure the win by recording a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.

Senior guard Katie McWilliams, who played her final regular season home game at Oregon State, said the Beavers continue to do well at executing late in the game.

“It shows that in any close game we are able to pull of that W,” McWilliams said. “We’re able to execute exceptionally well at the offensive end. Whatever play is called, we are going to execute that to a tee.”

OSU Head Coach Scott Rueck said for senior day, it was amazing.

“An amazing day all of the way around, an amazing weekend really if you consider both games,” Rueck said. “I was thankful for another incredible environment to compete in.”

Oregon State’s two seniors Katie McWilliams and Joanna Grymek were honored before the game, who then were both able to record double-digits in the points category, McWilliams with 14 points and Grymek with 10.

“For these two to play the way they did today, in their last regular season home game, was really remarkable,” Rueck said. “You hope it goes well as a coach, but there’s always so much emotion. Both of them are fighting back tears. their families are out there, big old celebration, their heads up in the crowd, that’s a lot to take in.”

The Beavers will take on the Arizona State Sun Devils on Friday, March. 1, at 5 p.m. There are two remaining regular season games before the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas on Thursday, March 7.