UPDATE: Incumbent Gov. Kate Brown, Rep. Peter DeFazio defeat challengers

DeFazio results

Joe Wolf, Web & Mobile Manager

Wednesday, Nov. 7 noon update

Democratic incumbent Kate Brown will retain her position for four more years, beating Republican challenger Knute Buehler with over 1.7 million voters participating. 

Brown received 49.57 percent of the vote statewide to Buehler’s 44.22 percent. Benton County voters supported Brown 60.21 percent to her opponent’s 33.83 percent.

As Secretary of State in 2015, Brown was first elevated to the position after former Gov. John Kitzhaber resigned. She continued in the office after a 2016 special election, and will now serve her first full term.

In addition to the governor’s mansion, this election determined the representation Oregon State University students and staff will receive at the state, local and national level.

U.S. Representative, 4th District: Democrat Peter DeFazio, who has represented Oregonians in Benton, Linn and surrounding counties since 1987, defeated longtime Republican challenger Art Robinson. 

State Senator, 8th District: Incumbent Democrat Sara Gelser defeated Republican Erik Parks by a wide margin, with 62.94 percent of voters supporting the disability advocate. 

Benton County Commissioner, Position 1: Democrat Pat Malone came out on top with 50.22 percent of the vote. OSU student and independent candidate Sami Al-Abdrabbuh received 25.59 percent, while Libertarian Erik Gradine attained 12.08 percent. 

In a press release conceding the results of the election, Al-Abdrabbuh thanked supports for their efforts in the election.

“Although the election results were not in our favor, I look forward to continuing my service as the Vice-Chair of Corvallis School Board and to support all of Benton County, regardless of their zip code, race, gender, or any other identity,” Al-Abdrabbuh said in the press release. 

Corvallis Mayor: Incumbent Biff Traber wins another term, defeating Ward 2 City Councilor Roen Hogg, with 57.81 percent of the vote.

Corvallis City Council, Ward 4: Councilor Barbara Bull, who ran unopposed, easily retained her position with 97.88 percent of the vote.

Benton County Sheriff: Scott Jackson, who ran unopposed, handily won with 97.91 percent of the vote.